Jump to solution

comments please!!! VMWare has a New CEO

Diane Green gone,

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
51 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This has really changed my view on virtualization in general. Last week a remote office wanted to deploy Hyper-v. I was against it. Especially since Dell is practially giving away ESXi. This week i said go for it. I can no longer ignore Hyber-v.

0 Kudos
dkvello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is the sad part. VMware is/was a product/Company to be excited about. Technical excellence, way in the forefront, visionary etc, etc.

Wasn't it dull and average enough? Somebody else so much wanted to be the shining star of this company that they had to fire D.G. to get the spot ?

As for the new CEO, Win98, WinNT,Win2000... They were all well marketed, but they where not even close to being great products that made your mind skip a beat. People bought them because the felt they had no choice, not because they really really really wanted to.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So much I like Diane Greene ........ but ...... are you sure folks are not turning a simple little "fart" into an hurracane here ?

I don't know what it is going to happen .... but I wouldn't rule out that in 12 months we will be here again forgetting who Diane Greene was and talking about how exciting the new VMware xyz product is.....

Perhaps because Diane was a good nice person but I think people on this post tend to be a bit catastrophic. Maybe it will turn into a bad thing but...... why don't we wait and see what happens .... it might be that it will turn into a big nothing ......

Just my two cents ...

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I concur.

So much I like Diane Greene ........ but ...... are you sure folks are not turning a simple little "fart" into an hurracane here ?

I don't know what it is going to happen .... but I wouldn't rule out that in 12 months we will be here again forgetting who Diane Greene was and talking about how exciting the new VMware xyz product is.....

Perhaps because Diane was a good nice person but I think people on this post tend to be a bit catastrophic. Maybe it will turn into a bad thing but...... why don't we wait and see what happens .... it might be that it will turn into a big nothing ......

Just my two cents ...

Massimo.

From what I have read it seems like Diane may have been trying to force EMC to let VMWare go (which was an option in the contract that would happen in December 2008 - after 5 years EMC COULD spinoff VMWare on their own). I also have read comments that Diane was fiesty and you did not want to get in her way when she had her mind set on things. If both of these things were true, then she may have gave EMC an ultimatum that they COULD refuse.

VMWare made a deal with the lesser of the 2 devils (they rebuffed MS' effort to buy them way back when). Did VMWare really think that there would not be some issues raised by the parent company that they didn't agree with but were forced to do?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This has really changed my view on virtualization in general. Last week a remote office wanted to deploy Hyper-v. I was against it. Especially since Dell is practially giving away ESXi. This week i said go for it. I can no longer ignore Hyber-v.

Surely you didn't swap virtualization platforms because the CEO of a company got replaced.. :smileyshocked:

Sorry, but that just seems silly.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Surely you didn't swap virtualization platforms because the CEO of a company got replaced.. :smileyshocked:

Sorry, but that just seems silly.

Of course not. I have no intention of doing that. But, if Vmware goes under, I want to be up to speed on what's next.

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

. Maybe it will turn into a bad thing but...... why don't we wait and see what happens .... it might be that it will turn into a big nothing ......

Just my two cents ...

Massimo.

Agreed totally. It's fun to theorize about what might be, but everyday somewhere a company changes CEO. Look at it as a new era. Which has a 50% chance of turning bad. A monster the size of VMware won't fall out of the sky overnight... The word cloud might be more appropriate.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just to backtrack my previous statement a little, I just read the K-8 which I think gives a good clue :

"as President, Cloud Infrastructure and Services Division of EMC Corporation (“EMC”), VMware’s parent company and controlling stockholder. Mr. Maritz joined EMC in February 2008 when EMC acquired Pi Corporation, which he had founded in 2003 and where he served as CEO. Pi Corporation was a software company focused on building Cloud-based solutions for new ways of doing personal information management."

Maybe there's been some disagreements on cloud, maybe Tucci wants to give it more priority than Dianne did...

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
rdiphoorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only talented geek AND business wizard I'm aware of is Bill Gates. I'm sure Diane has done a great job to build up VMware as a company, but you can't deny that Murphy's law was going to hit her. Fast growing companies has almost all exploded, just look at Netscape as an example. This CEO change is a big shock for all of us, but from a business point of view, it has been a wise move. Just my opinion.

Clarification is a beautiful thing.

Check my blog:

Clarification is a beautiful thing. Check my site: http://www.vituality.com
0 Kudos
david_marshall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only talented geek AND business wizard I'm aware of is Bill Gates. I'm sure Diane has done a great job to build up VMware as a company, but you can't deny that Murphy's law was going to hit her. Fast growing companies has almost all exploded, just look at Netscape as an example. This CEO change is a big shock for all of us, but from a business point of view, it has been a wise move. Just my opinion.

Hmmm... Steve Jobs comes to mind to fit your profile as well.

There are a lot of people at VMware that have made the company what it is today. Greene being let go is probably more than a blip as some are saying, but that single act in time won't derail the company. Or at least, it shouldn't. At the same time, if there is a mass exodus of people at the top, decision makers, idea people, valued leaders, and all those crazy guys in the white lab coats that can figure out how to make things like the flux capacitor work... then we have a serious problem! Smiley Wink

David Marshall http://www.vmblog.com | Follow me @vmblog | 7x vEXPERT since 2009
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Let's wait and see...

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I love VMware but I am glad I sold my stock when I did!!!!

0 Kudos