VMware Cloud Community
CthulhuSaves
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, another Live CD question.

Hiya,

I've seen a few questions similar to what I'm wanting to know, but no responses that quite answer it.

In short, is it possible to have a VMware product (workstation or player) as a pre-installed item on a live CD (in this case, an XP CD)?

I'd like to be able to boot from a Live XP CD (one that I've pre-tweaked and installed drivers for, etc. using BartPE and/or nLite), and then be able to open a VMware image (stored on a physical drive, probably a USB drive).

The reason for this is that I'm also a gamer, and doing things this way would allow me to have an incorruptible XP host, which can directly drive my video card, to play games I've installed onto a physical drive, and also be able to access my "main" OS, kept as a VM (a safe place for all my apps and documents, that I can occasionally make a backup of in case of disaster).

If it'll work, it's the ultimate "safe" setup, and I'd never have to re-install Windows again apart from doing an occasional backup and wasting a disc or two. Antivirus wouldn't be needed at all (outside the VM, of course), and a firwewall could be installed that's been sandboxed, so any writing that it needs to do is done in a folder on the external drive.

I'm seriously liking this idea. But, it all comes down to whether a VM can be loaded from a Live CD.

And yeah, before ya say it, I'm aware that I can just do a basic XP install on the drive to achieve the same results, but the idea here is to kill two birds with one crate of dynamite, and not just retain the ability to play games, but also attain the security of knowing the host OS will never get corrupted or need to be reinstalled. Now \*that's* worth the price of admission. Smiley Happy

Opinions? Comments? Soggy produce projectiles? Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

RDPetruska

Removed emoticon from subject line

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

A few people have worked on this. Ulli has a post in the Workstation forum about a BartPE disc with Workstation on it; and there's a post in the Player forum about a Knoppix disc with Player. I believe there's a Slax distro around with Player installed already, as well.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Yep, check out Ulli's site at www.sanbarrow.com[/url] for all sorts of BartPE/vmx/other goodies

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

Just keep in mind if you plan on playing games and running vmdks from a CD or your OS from the CD, your performance is not going to be the best. I run a few OSes from memory cards/CDs and while they work perfectly for basic functionality and business needs, it will most likely be slow for gaming.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
CthulhuSaves
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I'm not planning on running both at the same time. No reason to have the VM up and running if I'm busy blasting away bad guys. Smiley Happy

I checked out that site, as well as some related forums on the 911CD forums, but it's hard to tell what people are actually talking about. The Sanbarrow site sounds like it's talking about Linux, not Windows (but I can't be sure, of course), and I can't view the file area, to see if the downloads are for Windows or something else, without making an account first.

I did see a link he posted on a forum for a beta version of a VMW version 4 (point something) plugin, but that's no good, and no sign of a current version plugin. From the sound of things, it is feasible, it just hasn't been made or openly released by anyone.

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

No one can release a premade CD because it requires a license for Windows, so no one does it, they just try and give directions on how to. I don't have directions but I have a USB key that boots linux and runs player. I can select a few different VMs to run all off the key or internal drives, so it will work.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
CthulhuSaves
Contributor
Contributor

Darn, this is just one of those days where I keep saying the wrong thing. Smiley Happy No, I wasn't referring to finding a pre-built CD, I was talking about finding a VMW plugin for use in making one myself.

As I said above, there is an older version available, but it's not compatible with current software versions, and from what the page said, it was a beta plug that still needed testing. I read some of his forum posts about it (others are asking the same questions I am), and got the impression the older plugin worked alright. An update, aimed at XP SP2 and current VMW versions, is ultimately what I'm hoping to find.

I looked at the thread someone mentioned above (from elsewhere on this site), and he does appear to be testing something, but it's for Win2003. No clue if that would work with XP.

0 Kudos
quaqua
Contributor
Contributor

Bump \^^^ for some links or more info on a how-to. Understood there may not be a direct download, but instructions on how to compile this would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I looked at the thread someone mentioned above (from elsewhere on this site), and he does appear to be testing something, but it's for Win2003. No clue if that would work with XP.

So why the f@#? don't you ask me for a XP-based version ?

I have a version for 2k3 that really rocks and if there was some demand I'd consider porting it to XP.

BTW - you can download a 2k3 trial from MS

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

MOA 2.1 is available now ...

Hurry up - in case you are interested.

Usually I loose interest a few weeks after release.

0 Kudos