VMware Cloud Community
Puntoboy
Contributor
Contributor

Why pay for VMware?

Hello,

I'm sure this is has been asked hundreds of times before, but I'm having problems finding a clear answer.

I've approached my manager asking for him to for a licence for VMWare Workstation as it would greatly benefit me in my job. I've explained how it will benefit me and he agrees it would be a good tool for me to have. I'm a desktop support engineer primarily, rolling out workstation images, configuring clients etc. but I also do server builds and I'm gradually moving towards doing more server based work. Having various VM's on my laptop for testing and deployment purposes is a great thing to have. My manager has now asked me why I can't use VM Server for this as it's a free licence. So far, the only real answer I can give him is the snap shots side of things, but I can't seem to find anything other clear reason why I can't use Server.

I've read that Workstation runs per user and that Server runs as a service so will remain running whether someone is logged on or not, but that doesn't bother me at all as I'll only be using the VM's when I'm physically sat infront of my laptop. This isn't really a reason not to have Server as I see it. I've also read that Workstation is optimised for single user use and will run better that Server on my laptop.

So what actually reasons can I give him for me having Workstation or should I noth bother and go with Server?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Server (AFAIK) does not support multiple snapshots or cloning (there are more features it's missing, like Record/Replay, multiple guest monitors, newer features like USB 2, and better interactive performance, but they probably aren't as important to you).

However, since Server is free and is compatible with Workstation (which also has a free trial) if you later want to upgrade, I'd recommend you try both and see which suits your needs better.

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with etung, why not just download a copy of server, get started with that. Once you are able to prove to your manager that spending the extra money for ESX or Workstation will allow you to be more productive, it'll be a no brainer. If you can build VM's using the server product, then you'll get the "foot in the door" for the other products. Features you want to use, but, can't because they are in the paid product, can be listed off and when your boss wants you to use them, you can offer the paid solution.

do a little homework and show how implementing the paid product will save you organization money in the long run, and you'll most likely be able to get it written into the budget.

Bill

0 Kudos
Puntoboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I'm currently running the 30 day trial of Workstation on my laptop and I've created a number of VM's that are working well.

Can I run Workstation and Server simulatneously?

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would be in your best interests to try to use seperate PC's to run each product. I use Workstation on my PC, and have another PC with the server product. If you can't get a spare PC, I don't see why you couldn't have both installed, however, I could see where there would be conflicts if you try to use both simultaneously.

0 Kudos
Puntoboy
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I would use both products at the same time, just on the same PC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Give it a try. I think before my latest re-imaging of my PC, I had installed Workstation and Server, but, we also use ESX, so I didn't have the need for Server like you do.

Good luck, and, let us know how it works out...

0 Kudos
Puntoboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have it downloading now.

To be honest, the main reason I can see for having Workstation is the mulitple snap shots. I think this is going to be the main benefit in itself, but I'm not sure if that's enough for my manager to go for.

Am I right in thinking with Server you can only take one snap shot, or it is one snap shot per VM?

0 Kudos
wbednarzyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are correct. Workstation and ESX allow for multiple snaps. Server, only one.

The other differences between Workstation and Server are the ability to drag and drop files using workstation and better USB support.

I use Server at home on my Linux laptop to run microsoft programs I cannot do without (quicken). It runs like a champ.

0 Kudos
Puntoboy
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, it's looking more and more like Workstation is the product I'm going to need.

I'll give both a try and let you know.

0 Kudos