VMware Cloud Community
VinzC
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I download vmware-esx-console for Linux?

Hi.

Sorry to bother with such a question but I am running Gentoo Linux and I'd like to connect to our ESX servers using the appropriate VMWare console. Under Gentoo there is a package called vmware-esx-console[/b] but it requires me to download the tarball manually. I've spent hours searching VMWare web site but couldn't find anything.

We have VMWare Infrastructure Clients but it's a client for Windows.

The referenced package is VMware-console-2.5.3-24171.tar.gz[/b]. Where can I find it?

Thanks (a whole lot) in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can download it from the ESX server itself.

Connect to the ESX using a webbrowser, there's a link there.

0 Kudos
VinzC
Contributor
Contributor

Well, thanks, but on the web page that I browse there is only the Windows (Infrastructure) client (VMWare-viclient.exe) . There's no link for any Linux client.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

My fault - should have read your post better.

The VI client is (unfortunately) only available for Windows.

With Linux your only option is to use the MUI to manage ESX.

Message was edited by:

oreeh

You can complain about it here http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=49061

VinzC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

I won't complain as I think VMWare team has enough work to do and I also think the team is already fully aware of a demand due to that lack of support. I won't add to that Smiley Happy . I'll live with it (impatiently) and I'll eagerly watch for Linux support.

Oh, just a suggestion, though: I didn't find that lack of support very advertised on VMWare web site, leading to (self-) confusion.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure if this is the right way - the more complain the better.

0 Kudos