VMware Cloud Community
gdunn1
Contributor
Contributor

What are the shortcomings of running GSX and ESX in the same environment?

I have a situation where there is an existing server that has GSX VMware loaded on it.

I have budget to put one more server out there but I am putting ESX infrastructure on it.

I have a customers AD domain controllers on the GSX server but want to know if I migrate one over to the ESX server what will i expect.

I assume this is ok, but there may be alot of admin difficulties.

Can someone explain this to me.

Of course, yes I am new to the VM world. Smiley Happy thanks much!

Gary Dunn
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Your best bet would probably be to build a new domain controller on your new ESX server. Promote and after everything replicates transfer the roles over to it.

0 Kudos
gdunn1
Contributor
Contributor

Gary Dunn

Thanks!! appreciate it.

More detail.

The application has to have redundancy. If one fails, it needs to failover to the other AD/Domain Controller.

I need to have one running on the ESX box and one running on the GSX box.

Gary Dunn
0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Using ESX and GSX won't provide any built-in application failover. Does your application support its own heartbeat type failover detection?

0 Kudos
gdunn1
Contributor
Contributor

Gary Dunn

hmmm. No. it doesn't. So, I really would either need 2 ESX servers. or rebuild the GSX server as an ESX server.

Gary Dunn
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Your domain controllers will automatically fail over in the event of the failure of one. If you have one on each host (whether ESX, GSX, Workstation, MSVS, Xen, a physical box, whatever - it doesn't matter), then you will have fault tolerance because that's a native feature of the Active Directory service.

As for your subject question (shortcomings of GSX/ESX in same environment) - it's basically two environments to manage and you can't just copy VMs from one to the other (you'll need to export/import them). It's a good migration strategy, allowing you to gain the benefits of ESX without having to spend the $$$ to upgrade your entire environment at once...but I would suggest planning and budgeting to do a total infrastructure upgrade in the future.

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
gdunn1
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate it guys! Have a great day!

Gary Dunn
0 Kudos