VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wake on Lan - possible with any VMware product ?

I am looking for a success story where a user was able to setup WOL inside any VMware product.

So far I have not found a single report that this works

Thanks Ulli

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
23 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

After review the ultimatum is - We do not implement/support WoL on hosted products (Workstation and Fusion). We have WoL for VMs on ESX.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you a VMware engineer ?

Can you give links to anything like a howto or a kb that shows how to implement it ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

WoL is part of the "power management" feature which is only for ESX. Please look at ESX documentation under "Power Management" or "Wake on Lan". Alternately, here's one of the links:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_vm_admin_guide.pdf

From page 113:

===

Manage Power Management Settings for a Virtual Machine You can set the power options so that a virtual machine is suspended or remains powered on when the guest operating system is placed on standby.

Power Management options are not available on every guest operating system. Wake on LAN supports only Windows guest operating systems and is not available on Vlance NICs, or when a Flexible NIC is operating in Vlance mode (that is, the current VMware Tools are not installed on the guest operating system).

Wake on LAN can resume virtual machines that are in an S1 sleep state only. It cannot resume suspended, hibernated, or powered off virtual machines.

The following NICs support Wake on LAN:

n Flexible (VMware Tools required).

n vmxnet

n Enhanced vmxnet

n vmxnet 3

Prerequisites

You must power off the virtual machine.

Procedure

1 In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.

2 Click the Options tab and select Power Management.

3 In the Guest Power Management panel, select a power option.

n Suspend the virtual machine

n Put the guest operating system in standby mode and leave the virtual machine powered on

4 (Optional) Select Wake on LAN for virtual machine traffic on and select the virtual NICs to trigger this action.

Unsupported NICs might be listed, but are unavailable to connect.

5 Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.

0 Kudos
Sanktuary
Contributor
Contributor

pong

Thats not working on ESX 4.0 U1....

I Try it now with 4.1 U1 but i do not beleve that this is working.

Edit: Nope it dosent work

0 Kudos