VMware Cloud Community
egariM
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware and windows xp activation

Hi all, I have a simply question about windows xp activation... I want to install a new copy of windows xp pro oem version on my vitrtual machine on a mac pro, after the activation of windows can i use it on the vmware that i have on my laptop or windows detected always that i change hardware and ask me the serial? My laptop has vmware with linux and the windows oem can be activate 3 times. Thank you all for replies. Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Laywers hat on, legally no you can not it would be a breech of the EULA, OEM licenced Windows XP is tied to the phyiscal machine and the licence to use dies with the machine. To be legal you will have to purchase a retail copy of Windows XP which can be install on any hardware.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You own a Lawyer hat? What's it look like?

Eric Siebert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos
Elisa20
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I saw your post about using a copy of windows XP oem - did you experience any difficulty using the OEM version of xp pro?

I was afraid I'd have to buy the retail copy which is about $100 + more.....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Elisa20
Contributor
Contributor

Tom - have you heard of any problems using the OEM version vs. the full retail version?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If you get a "whitebox" OEM copy of Windows, you'll be fine. Microsoft calles these DSP or COEM versions. (Whatever those mean.) They are still OEM copies of Windows and are still tied to a specific set of hardware. But unline a Dell OEM copy of Windows, which can only be activated on Dell physical systems, a DSP version will activate on any hardware, but cannot be reactivated on different hardware if you move the copy of Windows to a different motherboard. To quote Tom above and what I read from a MS rep: "The DSP license is tied to the specific computer that it is installed on and the license lives and dies with the PC." From a legal standpoint, OEM / DSP /COEM versions I thing are supposed to be sold with "non-peripheral" hardware such as a motherboard. But how that ties in with virtual hardware, I'll leave to the legal types.

So if you purchase a separate OEM / COEM/ DSP copy of Windows (one that didn't come with your PC,) then you should be ok with using that in a virtual machine. But trying to use the WIndows that came with your PC won't work. Only if you're purchasing an unbranded PC (not a Dell or HP) and only if the seller/builder sells the system with a DSP / COEM version of Windows and only if the seller/builder does NOT activate that copy of Windows, then it could work. But any branded OEM version of WIndows won't work.

0 Kudos
Elisa20
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much !!! Your explanation helped immensely.

0 Kudos