VMware Cloud Community
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion Everything?

Would like to know if there is a way to vmotion everything off a host at once? Have never really tried multiple vmotions from 1 host to another host or multiple host's at one time for fear of time-out's etc...Also what does relocating VM files even accomplish? I have tried this and it doesn't seem to do anything (unlike remove from inventory).

0 Kudos
21 Replies
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not at all. The number of stars has nothing to do

with your problem. The only thing that would cause

VMs to not be automatically migrated off the host

when entering MM is to have the automation level

set

to something other than "Fully Automated"

Have you tested that? Because I have and my DRS is

set to fully automated and at 4 stars it will not

vmotion the VM's going into MM.

*At 3 stars Fully Automated it will move them.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Then I'd suggest opening an SR with VMware. According to Resource Management Guide[/url]

DRS Clusters and Maintenance Mode[/b]

For DRS clusters, the automation mode determines cluster behavior when you enter maintenance mode.

! A fully automated DRS cluster automatically migrates running virtual machines to different hosts as soon as maintenance mode is enabled.

\----

NOTE If no appropriate host is available, DRS displays information on the Tasks & Events tab.

\----

! A partially automated or manual DRS cluster displays recommendations for migration of running virtual machines, with the recommendation type Host Maintenance displayed in the recommendation list.

No mention of level of aggression...

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos