VMware Cloud Community
vimas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware recommends . . . Microsoft Windows

The company I work for installed the first VMware ESX servers about 3 years ago. We use Mac OSX and Linux/Gnome on the desktop and only use Microsoft when there is no other option.

When we compared VMware ESX with competing products, it was clear VMware was the better option because of its stability, proven experience with virtualization and platform independence. We could virtualize Windows, Linux and Netware servers and expect a good support for it. We could install and administer everything from our Linux desktops.

Now the first release of virtual center appeared to run only on top of a Microsoft server, so we didn't buy it and waited.

vi3 has only a Windows virtual console so we waited for a GUI that runs under Linux. When we could no longer wait we had to run it using vmware player.

Yesterday I tried to open a support call via eservices.vmware.com and this appeared no longer to work. The support tools page now displays "Browser Incompatibility". A page pops up explaining how I can make Firefox running on a Windows desktop compatible...

With the growing competition in the virtualization market, VMware should not loose its biggest advantage over the competitors, which is its platform independence. The ever bigger impact of Microsoft on VMware makes customers like us reevaluate the virtualization options.

We will not reevaluate our preferred desktop OS.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jgswinkels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand your frustration. On the other hand if almost 90% of the front-end is a Microsoft Environment it is understandable that VMware launches their products focused on Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Daryll
Expert
Expert

Moving to virtualization general discussion. I can't fix this problem on the forums Smiley Happy

-Daryll

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As jgswinkels says, 90% of the desktop is Windows based. VMware is a business with obligations to the Shareholders to make money.

it makes good business sense to develop for the platform that will generate the quickest return on investment and that is Windows. not and I feel never will be Linux. the fact is Linux is niche and will remain niche.

VMware may develop a VIC client and VrtualCentre for Linux in the future but it will always be second best to the Windows version as that will be the revenue driver.

Not wanting to start the usual religous wars but it would not hurt you too much to windows workstation for managment purposes.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
zwaagp
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since the new ACE 2 Management server is available as a virtual appliance, maybe we can expect the same for a future release of VirtualCenter?

0 Kudos