VMware Cloud Community
uaflyer
Contributor
Contributor

VMware on Cisco ! VCP+C ?

The NYT published an article noting Cisco's entry into the Server market.

Specifically, what appears to be a Virtualization appliance that is speculated to run VMware.

Being that Cisco owns a small part of VMware, one would think this plausable.

A thought is possibly Cisco's certification program might notch in VCP. :smileymischief:

What positives and maybe negatives do you see from this new Cisco Product ?d

Certified ScrumMaster

MCITP 2K8 Enterprise, MCSE 2K Security

COMPTIA Inet. Security

Certified ScrumMaster MCITP 2K8 Enterprise, MCSE 2K Security COMPTIA Inet+. Security+
0 Kudos
2 Replies
kcollo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are definitely moving into the server market. It will run VMware, and this is a great move on Cisco's end. Especially since their release of the Nexus 1000v virtual switch to be licesned in ESX4. People have gone as far as theorizing that vitualization will soon be available as a blade into their chassis based routers/switches. Not sure about that one. Currently, Cisco sells a few servers mainly revolving around their VoIP lines. These are re-branded HP rack mount servers. Going with that precident, I figure they will do the same for their virtualization server offering. I definitely could be wrong! Also, I would love to see Cisco roll out their own line of servers manufactured by themselves. Could definitely be an interesting product!

http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Cisco/Cisco-Enters-Data-Center-Server-Market/?kc=CITCIEMNL01202009...

I do feel that when Cisco releases this product, that they will bring some of the more hesitant and government contracts to virtualization. Cisco is respected and hailed as a very stable company/manufacturer. A certification track would be awesome! Virtual data center/vmware/and virtual switching... I would definitely sign up!

Kevin

http://blog.colovirt.com

uaflyer
Contributor
Contributor

I would really welcome Cisco having a CCNA+VM or something like that.

With over $25B in cash, I would think Cisco would ponder buying VMware and they are in the best position.

IBM and HP would love to as well. Microsoft would probably be okay with either wearing the Virtualization hat.

Like any other technology acquisition in Silicon Valley, it would be an interesting battle.

Sun and Oracle are choking on their acquisitions, so in poor position to play here.

Not that VMware can't make it on their own, but everyone learned a marriage lesson from Yahoo.

Certified ScrumMaster

MCITP 2K8 Enterprise, MCSE 2K Security

COMPTIA Inet. Security

Certified ScrumMaster MCITP 2K8 Enterprise, MCSE 2K Security COMPTIA Inet+. Security+
0 Kudos