VMware Cloud Community
sam78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware for MCSE

Excuse me if I’m in the wrong section of the forum.

I just downloaded the trail version of “VMware Workstation v6. My goal is to create a small network of several servers of windows server 2003 (DNS, HTCP, FILE SERVER and so on), and few clients to study MCSE on server 2003.

I’m aware of the “team feature” but so far the virtual machines can’t see each other, although they are in the same segment.

1- What VMware product do I need to purchase?

2- If I will need an enterprise. Does VMware have licences for studying proposes only (same as Microsoft)?

3- Do you know any tutorials on using the recommended product that might help me?

I will be greatly thankful for any help, and please note that my budget limit is £100-£200

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware server 2.0 is great for this purpose and totally free but its only web based management and deployment. You would have more flexible with the lab if you can pay in for VMware Workstation 6.5 and it has clone feature, teaming and networking capabilities you can manage with different network segments. If you're doing lab with bunch of same OS installed, using the linked clone mode would be beneficial saves you disk space. I've studied a lot of MCITP and other labs with VMware Workstation 6.5 and found its very good and convenience. Just make sure you have enough memory for the purpose otherwise you will experience some slowness especially learning Windows 2008 MCITP. There are also free hypervisor such as MS Virtual PC, Hyper V, Xen Enterprise, ESX 4i free edition but requires special hardware to run. I wouldn't recommend it if just studying for MS labs.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Admin Guide is enough and it's free. However there are some books on Amazon, written by some community members.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - only suggestion I would make is to use VMware Server - it is a free productm runs on top of Windows and will allow you to create the environment to study for your MCSE - the benefit of this is you will not have to worry about your evaluation license expiring -

This is the documentation for VMware Server - http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html. There is also a link to the download site for VMware Server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware server 2.0 is great for this purpose and totally free but its only web based management and deployment. You would have more flexible with the lab if you can pay in for VMware Workstation 6.5 and it has clone feature, teaming and networking capabilities you can manage with different network segments. If you're doing lab with bunch of same OS installed, using the linked clone mode would be beneficial saves you disk space. I've studied a lot of MCITP and other labs with VMware Workstation 6.5 and found its very good and convenience. Just make sure you have enough memory for the purpose otherwise you will experience some slowness especially learning Windows 2008 MCITP. There are also free hypervisor such as MS Virtual PC, Hyper V, Xen Enterprise, ESX 4i free edition but requires special hardware to run. I wouldn't recommend it if just studying for MS labs.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
sam78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks allot for the help. I have already bought VMware

workstation 6.5, and the user manual is also grate.

0 Kudos