VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware, VMware, whatcha gonna do??

"Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do??" -- Old theme song from much-reviled '80's ('90's??) TV show, "Cops"

I couldn't resist this quotation after reading about what Microsoft/Citrix just did in terms of price cuts and licensing changes.

Link: http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/dear-vmware-eat-dirt-love-microsoft/

Granted, it's all totally tied to Hyper-V, but one has to wonder...How will VMware respond??

It would be nice if they do something similar for its loyal users.

Does anyone have any idea/information on what VMware will do next in response??

IMNSHO 50% off Essentials doesn't do it for many companies, it doesn't have enough features so far as I know.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Granted, it's all totally tied to Hyper-V, but one has to wonder...How will VMware respond??

Not only is it hype, but it's numbers. How much is a Windows Server / Enterprise license? Does Hyper-V have ALL the same features as VM Ware?

So maybe you can buy Enterprise for less than ESX, but are you buying JUST an OS or a solution? Sure you can virtualize a VM and you can migrate it, but I doubt you can put the same number of VM's (in fact I would wager the consolidation ratio is 4 or 5 times higher than Hyper-V) on a host, so if you have to buy 4 or 5 times MORE hosts.. how much are you really saving?

Nothing.

You have to compare apples and apples.

Besides which did you read the small print? That's VM Ware VIEW customers, not ESX.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're probably right, but VMware does have to respond somehow.

Many people may not respond or know about logical/sensible responses

like this.

I was quite intrigued until I saw the July 1, 2010 date dependency and

the Hyper-V dependency explained in:

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2010/03/18/microsof

t-announces-quot-remotefx-quot-the-calista-based-hyper-v-requiring-pc-ov

er-ip-competitor.aspx

I posed the question for people to comment, offer opinions, information,

rants, etc. Smiley Happy

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos