VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

VMware VLAN ID's

hello folks,

I have been told to assign VLAn ID for the switch. In my previous organization whenever I build VM and select VLAn ids in the NIC settings, it gets the IP from its range.

So, now I have to do the same in my environment in the new firm. Can anyone provide me some inputs on this? also, if any process documents, pls share.

Thanks,

AB

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There are basically 2 (to be exact 3) ways to setup VLAN networking with ESX(i). Since ESX(i) provides virtual switches you can either set the VLAN-ID on the virtual switches's port groups and configure the physical uplink ports as trunk ports or you set the VLAN-ID on the physical switch ports (access port)

For details on EST (external switch tagging) and VST (virtual switch tagging) read http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

Do you have more than 1 vlan per switch ?

Are you the network admin ?, if not contact the admin find out if you need to trunk and setup multiple port groups and vlan.

You might turn on cdp ( if a cisco network) on the vswitch to see what networks you see.

You can put up a host in promiscous mode and sniff the traffic

I really need more information to provide better help

0 Kudos
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your network engineer assigned one VLAN on your uplunks for your VM's, you do not need to assign that VLAN number on your vSwitch. The physical switchport can have multiple VLANs defined. In many cases your management traffic (Service Console) and Virtual Machine traffic travels on two different VLANs. If your network engineer uses multiple VLANs on one interface (trunk), you'll need to add these number(s) on your vSwitch.

0 Kudos
kabeer
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple VLAN accessing from single same link, YES it is possible.

In my case, All VLAN to flow from 2 physical NIC cards which are teamed on physical ESX server.

one single vswitch0 created, then to "properties" of "vswitch0" and

under ports tab, click on add button and wizard open for connection type

then select "virtual machines" click next connection settings under "network label" type the require vlan name example (VLAN 20), below in VLAN ID, type VLAN ID number (20). By clicking next you will see it in SUMMARY then finish.

Go to INVENTORY and select virtual machine, right clik and go to EDIT settings, select the network adapter and in network connection, you will see the multiple network cards, select it from the desire one.

I have tested more then 6 vlans by same. Its working perfectly.

Regards,

=> KABEER

0 Kudos