VMware Cloud Community
ko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware VCP Exam

I have been working on ESX 2.5 for more than a year and only completed the ESX 2.5 course about 6 months ago. I keep postponing the VCP2 exam as I have been busy with upgrading current ESX2.5 to VI3.

Recently I received a mail that the VCP2 exam is expiring on 31 Dec 06.

Would I be able to take the VCP3 exam instead of the VCP2 exam without attending the VI3 course?[/b]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you don't already have your VCP on version 2.5.x....you'll have to sit the 2-day "What's new" class...or the 4-day "Install & Configure" course before you can take the new VI3 exam and be considered a VCP on version 3.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you don't already have your VCP on version 2.5.x....you'll have to sit the 2-day "What's new" class...or the 4-day "Install & Configure" course before you can take the new VI3 exam and be considered a VCP on version 3.

Chris

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Why not give the VCP 2 test a shot? You still have a week to study and its not that hard.

The certification wont expire, they have changed to what MS does, if you pass the test you will always be a VCP on VI2, then you can take the VI3 test whenever you want later without having to take any additional classes.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Attached is the VI3 Exam FAQ sheet. As was stated you need to take the VI3 What's New Course.

http://mylearn1.vmware.com/lcms/mL_faq/352/CertificationFAQ.pdf

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
chabney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with Don......it would probably be in your best interest to try and give the VCP2 exam a shot this week.

Think of it this way......you only have to spend $175 to take the exam and if you pass you've got that additional "historical" certification (good for resume) and you're cleared for the VI3 exam, too!

Your alternative is to lay down $3,000 and not get the additional certification.

$175 + additional certification v/s $3000 and no cert........not a difficult choice, if you ask me!? Smiley Happy

p.s. Just remember to go back through your books from the class, because the older test was almost exclusively based off of the material in those classroom books. Another site you may want to visit is VMwareProfessional (http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=vcp).....it is hosted by one of our own VMTN contributers, Dominic Rivera, and he has some decent practice questions to get you back into the swing of the older product!! Good luck!!

0 Kudos
BaconStrips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I made the same mistake. I went past the date for taking the 2.0 test. I know I have to attend the What's new class but my work will on send me to one class and they want to send me to the Deploy, Secure, & Analyze class. Does anyone know if I will be able to take the test and get the cert if I did it that way or would I need to still attend the What's new class..

Chris

0 Kudos
n00dles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure the Depoly, Secure and Analyze class is based on 2.x... so really it's in your company's best interest to be running on VI3, so they need to send you on the 'what's new' to bring you up to speed ;).

Of course it won't really bring you up to speed... but it will qualify you for the cert, which is the main thing yes?

0 Kudos
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello all,

KO, since the deadline is passed, what did you do? Smiley Happy

n00dles,

Don't be confused with VMware Education's new naming convention for the classes offered. We tried to make it easier to determine by including the major release version in the title. Observe.

Virtual Infrastructure 2: Design, Deploy Diagnose -- Based on ESX 2.5/VC 1.x

Virtual Infrastructure 2: Design, Secure & Automate -- Based on ESX 2.5/VC 1.x

VMware Infrastructure 3: Deploy, Secure & Analyze -- Based on ESX 3.x/VC 2.x

The current DSA class is based on VI-3.

Hope this is useful,

Phil

0 Kudos
n00dles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahhh cheers Phil - at the time I did the VI3 course I think the new deploy,secure analyze wasn't out yet... hopefully I'll get on it before too long Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
VCP_aleykind
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This morning took and pass VCP /VI3 with 90. Test is hard but if you study hard then it's a fare chance. Another VCP /VI3 in Brooklyn, NY.

0 Kudos
mohanad_cs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

What are the benefits that I will get when I had Vmware -101V Certified

Regards,

Mohanad R.Aljabi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Other than a free license key for VMware Workstation, you get access to the VMware logos for your business cards and website.

We're still waiting to find out what kind of new benefits are in the works for the new VCP.

Chris

0 Kudos
Dirkwheeler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I took the VCP3 test today and passed with a 90. Does anybody know how long it will take to get my stuff vfrom vmware? or when I get my VCP login and what is in the kit you get?

Dirk

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could take as long as 6-8 weeks...but I received mine within 2 weeks....so it seems to vary.

Chris

0 Kudos
Trigsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I passed mine two weeks ago and received it from the US to UK in just 10 days.

So they may have got their act together now and have a better system 6-8 weeks seems a long time to send a certificate and welcome letter don't you think.

0 Kudos
lightfighter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just got done with my VI3 I/C and I will be taking the exam in a few weeks

0 Kudos
Ripley8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Took mine today and got 90. Should have been more but..........

I'm moving house tomorrow so I guess I should tell VMware, hmmmm.

0 Kudos
TitanFan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I took mine last Friday and scored a 92%. These forums were a big help, along with the Advance Tech Design Guide.

0 Kudos
Dusan1974
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I took mine today and pass 83%

0 Kudos
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Passed today with a 91. Read all the on-line books over and over and been working with this version for 3 months.

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos