VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

VMware Patches and Updates???

I'm trying to download the latest Esx 3,02 patches from VMware's website and if I attempt to download any more the one patch at a time, nothing happens. Is there another site at which I can download official VMware patches?

I thought whoever decided to change these forums made a bad decision but the recent changes to the downloads/patches section is deplorable.

Jason

0 Kudos
17 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

The site is likely getting hammered. Wait a little bit and try again

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm thinking because of new ESX 3.5 Updates 1 released yesterday and people keep downloading them for testing and check things out. I've downloaded but couldn't get it to run on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop for testing. It has some issues with reading my drives modules. Weird part is that ESX 3.0.2 Update 1 and ESX 3.5 works fine. But when I tried to upgrade from ESX 3.0.2 Update 1 to ESX 3.5 Update 1 I got disk error message but will spend time playing it it this weekend.

Here's the steps I've tried:

1. Fresh install ESX 3.5 Update 1 from .ISO doesn't work with my Dell XPS M1710 as mentioned.

2. Upgrade from ESX 3.0.2 Update 1 from ESX 3.5 Update 1 .ISO bootable CD same issue.

But I can confirm that I can neither install ESX 3.0.2 Update 1 or ESX 3.5 without any problems. Only known problems for ESX 3.5 is the virtual machine can't boot up. I'm curious anything has changed with ESX 3.5 Update 1 in terms of driver modules. I'll test some more this weekend.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jason,

Did you try downloading 1 patch at a time?

Selecting multiple patches didn't work for me, so that's what I ended up doing Smiley Sad

I believe it has something to do with the Java applet involved when selecting multiple downloads.

Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get it working (IE en Firefox)

Oh, update: tried it today on another computer with IE.

Now the Java "download" applet seems to work.

Regards,

Henk

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

I tried selecting all 5 new 3.0.2 patches and 1 failed to download. I then downloaded that one by itself without a problem.

So a minor inconvenience only, on this occasion.

Chris

0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

I tried updating one of our Test ESX 3.5 servers with the latest patches using update manager, and now I can't migrate any hosts on to it........ do we know if there are any known problems with these patches??

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

do a service mgnt-vmware restart

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - this might be a dim moment at the end of a long day, but do you mean restarting the VCS service on the VCS server? If so we have already done that. if not, then please what do you mean?! I'm still new to this game....

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Don't worry about it, I still have dumb moments Smiley Happy and we were all just starting at one time.

I mean on the ESX console. open up a putty session to the ESX Host and then su - root to elivate your rights.. then enter the command this restarts the VC agents on the host, it is a common issue when patching.

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom.

However, I'm not sure that will help as I've already restarted the actual box.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

it just does sometimes, as it effectively just kicks its self up the backside.

when you issue that command, you are recycling the management communication between the host and VC, but you are doing it when all other services are stable. you could also issue a service vmware-vpxa restart to restart the agent.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Well I have done both of these to no avail - is there anything else worth trying? Or should I just log a call with VMWare??

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Un-register your Host with VC and then reconnect it.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Tom, I'm using and abusing your kind advice. In amongst "one of those days" I have destroyed the ESX host from the VCS console and added it back in, and although it discovered all the turned off vm's etc on it without any problems, we STILL can't migrate any hosts to it with VMotion! Although I can migrate machines that are turned off.... And we can power on machines on this host. So it just seems to be HA/VMotion that seems to be the problem.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry for the delay in replying but do you still have the issue? if so is this the only updated machine in your farm/Cluster?

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Tom

Thanks for your reply - we did manage to fix it in the end by removing it from the cluster, removing it from VCS, connecting to it directly rather than through the VCS server, recreating all the network config, and then adding it back in. What we don't know is why it happened.... and if we should run update manager on any other servers! Normally we would stop HA before updating ESX boxes but I didn't this time - could that have been the issue?? This was the only server in a cluster of 2 that I had updated. I see no rush to update the other test box, let alone our live boxes at the moment.... or the VCS console. I'm tempted to wait until it all goes to V4 after that experience!!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I would update your other test box but stop HA first.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
NathalieMarshal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I'll try that.

0 Kudos