VMware Cloud Community
jaymemaurice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare on berkley licensed os = $$$ for vmware

I know there have been a lot of intelligent and equally not posts trying to get vmware to concider making vmware run on bsd... but has vmware concidered the BSD license as a reason to develop?

With all the time and effort of the freebsd community working on a kickass network stack and awesome smp code - you would think that there would be a huge incentive for vmware to develop for freebsd, then leverage the BSD subsystem in their ESX server... the bsd license allows vmware to take the code, change it and use it as their own and not release it... which is why companies like Nokia, Apple, Microsoft and many others love it and borrow code from it all the time.

just my $0.02

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have got to agree fully on this this BSD license has a much more sensible approach than the GPL. it would also stop those ESX runs on Linux arguements dead in their tracks.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

...and because of this there are several forks of the bsd code where some major omprovements have been done (ios, ipso, etc), that have not gone back to the community because they are not required to. On linux many companies have done good things too, but many of these changes are now part of the kernel.

Lars

0 Kudos