VMware Cloud Community
cepega
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE for real-time apps

Hello!

I have a question about VMWare and real-time applications. I've looked at VMWare probably about 3 years ago and did not have much luck with it at the stage of prove of concept, but the goal at that time was different. Now I am researching the VMWare's guest OS running real-time applications. Everywhere I've looked including some of the threads in the "community" it is not recommended, but I was curious if something changed since those post (considering that technology grows and improves at the hourly rate).

Therefore my question is if VMWare developed any additional tools/solutions/utilities for real-time applications in the guest OS space?

Thank you!

Sergey

Sergey
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I can't claim to be an expert on the matter but as far as I have heard even standard OS running on baremetal might have some challenges with this (I remember RedHat last year coming out with a "REAL-TIME version" of their enterprise Linux.

Given all the issue around timing in virtual machines I don't <think> running those class of applications within virtual environments is going to be a good idea in general.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
cepega
Contributor
Contributor

Massimo,

Interesting e-mail handle by the way Smiley Happy Thank you for your response. And yes, you are correct and I was assuming as well as read that it is not recommended since that abstract layer on top of your real OS is not going to give you a necessary access to in our case almost hardware/kernel layer of the physical OS. But I wanted to confirm that as well to make sure that no one actually created some guest OS to host OS device for this type of applications and threads (since in my opinion that it would required in this case).

I appreciate your input as well as it confirms my understanding as well.

I'd like to keep this conversation open in case if someone actually has some practical experiences with that type of architecture.

Thank you!

Sergey

Sergey
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I tried several "hard" real time OS in the past.

Best you can get is if it runs for some seconds ...

Very likely even that will fail

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Ulli be nice Smiley Happy

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos