VMware Cloud Community
gavinfitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWARE - Oracle DR scenario

Hey Guys,

I'm involvved in the design of a new system architechture which involves front end app server, back end oracle db server.

due to the systems high level of importance it must be up at all times.

In the event of a disaster, I need to have full recovery from our "VMWARE DR Platform"

Essentially i want to have a live vm "oracle db server" replicate with a "offline" oracle db server within a DR site (replication will take place on 10mbps - 80mbps link)

I'm aware Platespin enterprise edition is able to do block level replication between an online & offline vm's within 2 different sites, but has anyone been reccomended this type of setup as it is high level enterprise.

Also i want to save on Oracle costs if possible, so is there any other method of replicating to a DR site without the need for an extra Oracle DB License?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LoveGolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should check in with the Platespin guys on this one -- as far as I know, you would not need a second DB license for their solution and they also provide some sort of testing facility you can use to see if the recovery would work without interfering with the production environment. I sat through their VMworld presentation and saw how this would work. Seems like the least expensive and most practical solution for this type of D/R that i can see on the market.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LoveGolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should check in with the Platespin guys on this one -- as far as I know, you would not need a second DB license for their solution and they also provide some sort of testing facility you can use to see if the recovery would work without interfering with the production environment. I sat through their VMworld presentation and saw how this would work. Seems like the least expensive and most practical solution for this type of D/R that i can see on the market.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Platespin enterprire is certainly cheaper than something like NeverFail

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos