VMware Cloud Community
johnmcentee
Contributor
Contributor

VM versions

Is there a document which shows which which virutal machine verions (e.g. one create in workstation 4) will work in which other products (e.g virtual server or ESX).

I have a need to create a virtual machine that could be run in 10 years time if needed (but not used otherwise). I would like to create a virtual machine now, and guarantee as much as possible that with will be able to run on a computer 10 years in the future probably under the latest verison of windows (as a host)

Will I need to "upgrade" the VM with every release of VM player etc.. ?

Would it be safe to use ESX as that is more of an enterprise solution (e.g. changes less)?

Could I do this all for free using virtual server to create the image and player to use it on the desktop?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look here http://www.vmware.com/pdf/mobility_guide.pdf

Regarding your 10 year plan:

Will VMware still exist?

Will x86 hardware still exist?

No one knows

0 Kudos
johnmcentee
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks that is just what I need.

As for the 10 year plan. What is better. Storing a current desktop in the hope it works in 10 years time, or getting a VM working in 10 years time, by checking it an upgrading if every year.

As customer wants to pay for the company I work for to guarantee to able to run the current version (2006 version) of some software in 10 years time.

If VMware goes, of x86 disappears when can go back to plan A storing the then current hardware. getting 5 year support for hardware and OS is possbile, 10 years just gets very expensive (assuming it is possible)

Are there any other options I have missed?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

What is better. Storing a current desktop in the hope it works in 10 years time, or getting a VM working in 10 years time, by checking it an upgrading if every year.

IMHO getting a VM working in 10 years time

AFAIK 10 years hardware isn't possible with x86 hardware.

If you go and by mainframes this is alot different.

Are there any other options I have missed?

maybe combo of both:

buy some hardware and spare parts to build a VMM on top of it

install your VMs on top of that

hope your hardware lasts for 10 years

0 Kudos