VMware Cloud Community
LFC1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM console errors: - Not responding

Hi all,

I'm a first time VM user

Going to be using it lots more to practise and then put it into use at work..etc

However, on my very first go i've epically failed lol

I installed VM Server on my new home machine (6GB ram,. i7 920 cpu, Vista 64bit Ultimate) Note: I'm using 32bit VMserver. I then created a single VM and powered it up. When I went to the console it asked me to install the console plug in.

After it installed it restarted my broser (Firefox) I went back to the console, but as soon as I click it, it opens a pop up window for the console, and everytime without fail it crashed with a "Not Responding"..my cursor does the spinning thing, but never changes.

I've recreated a VM and the above happens all the time

When I check the event viewer on my local machine it has " The program VMware-vmrc.exe version 2.5.0.671 stopped interacting with windows"

Please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Web console will not work with Firefox. Additonally, it is not supported in Vista. When trying to access the console, it will crash.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks, phIL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What happens when you use I.E? I've had issues sometimes in the past

with FireFox that i couldnt explain or fix... i ended up beating my

head against the wall when trying to use Firefox .. lol

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using your computer account or the administrator logon when you access the Web Access url?

Things to try:

enter the ip address in the url instead of the computer name to access the Web Access and try the remote console again.

logon as administrator of the computer and try the remote console again

If successful:

Check the permissions tab on the Web Access console. if only administrator is there ( it is the local administrator of the computer ) add your logon account to the VMware Infrastructure Web Access with the administrator role.

log back on to your computer again with your logon account , logon to the WebConsole with your computer account and try the Remote console again. You shouldn't have to enter the ip address or logon with the administrator account anymore.

Hope this helps.

If you find this or any ather information useful please don't forget to award points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
NWhiley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What VMs are you creating?

Windows 32bit VMs or RHEL 5 32bit VMs should have no issues being created and starting in any version of server.

I have had problems with 64bit VMs in the past.

Also, check the cpu settings on your machine, have you enabled the virtualization support and hardware DEP?

Neil VCP
0 Kudos
LFC1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ runclear: I couldn't use IE due to a certificate issue. With FireFox i added a exception i.e. https:HOSTANME:PortNo

@ DLeid: I've used both the Admin account and my local account.

It doesn't look like a permissions issue, it just seems to be constantly crashing?

@ NWhuley: I created one for a server 2003 machine I can get far as powering on the VM but soon as I launch the console it

crashes the console (I cant see the VM boot up or anything).

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you get the certificate error in IE - did you select the middle option to "Continue to this site (not recommended) ?

If not select it and you should get to the logon screen for the VMware Infrastructure Web Access.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can we see the log files from the vm?

0 Kudos
LFC1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, didn't get the option to continue from IE

Do you mean event logs from my local machine, or logs from withing the VM. If so how do I obtain these. I'll have to reinstall and get these. I got so annoyd I couldn't get it to work, I gaveup and used the dark side's Vitrual PC s/w 😮

0 Kudos
philvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Web console will not work with Firefox. Additonally, it is not supported in Vista. When trying to access the console, it will crash.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks, phIL
0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Re-installing may not be such a bad idea anyway

logs from withing the VM. If so how do I obtain these.

The log files are located under the Virtual Machine directory created for you to store your vm files.

Mine is C:\Virtual Machines\NYV2K8SVR01 - in the virtual machine name directory, you should see the vmware.log

0 Kudos
LFC1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I add an exception in IE then. In FF i was given the option to add 'https:HOSTNAME:PORT' However, in IE although you can import certs, there is no option of adding your own

0 Kudos