VMware Cloud Community
High
Contributor
Contributor

VM-Ware and Dot Net-software (.NET)

We are thinking about using virtualization. However, I've heard some messages about problems in relation to the .NET software (custom software created with the .NET Framework).

My questions:

Are there (a lot of) problems to expect when virtualizing Windows Servers with IIS/.NET-programs installed on them?

If so, is there an (acceptable) solution for the problems?

Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't had any issues with .NET with applications I've written or that we produce inside of a VM. I would suggest using 2.0 or 3.0 if you are going to write against the VMware APIs, the 1.1 doesn't work very well.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My programming staff has written several .NET apps for websites running IIS on a virtualized windows platform and they have not utter one complaint. Some of the staff members don't even realize that these are not "real" machines.

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ditto here, I support a multi level app(IIS, COM, DB, etc) written using the dotnet framework and we haven't had a problem with that.

0 Kudos
TravisDavies
Contributor
Contributor

I have a performance issue when the developers do a build on the .Net programs, that Workstation performs faster than ESX....... even when we only have that guest running.

0 Kudos