VMware Cloud Community
Raghukalloor
Contributor
Contributor

VM Deleted from LUN

Hello All,

we have a strange position here. One of the VM got deleted from LUN. Now no where it is seen.

Is there any way to find out under which LUN the VM was stored ? we have around 10LUNs present in our organisation.

Is there any way to restore the VM ?

backup was not taken for that particular VM. Could you help us to find out where it was stored earlier and to get it restored.

If Valuable answer would be appreciated !

Thanks

Raghu

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

If your VM was deleted from LUN, and you don't have storage snapshots (or backups for this vm), then you can't restore it.

To trace VM datastore i think you will have to query VC database for this, and track it manually

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like the past user said, unless you had some sort of backup of either your entire SAN or individually like VCB, vRanger, esXpress... etc.. if the VM was deleted from the LUN there is no way to get it back. Hopefully you had some of the data backed up maybe with a file level backup of some sorts which would make the process a little less painful?

This would be a great time to invest in some sort fo backup solution for your systems, could be a File Level Backup like BackupExec or a Bulk backup like VCB, vRanger, esXpress so you have some protection should this happen again. Also do you know who deleted the VM? You should look into adjusting the permissions of the users to not allow them to be able to delete.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

You may be able to find where it 'was' originally by looking at the log files for vCenter and each ESX host (specifically hostd) but other than that, once its gone it may be gone for good.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Are you sure it was deleted and not removed from inventory? Browse the datastores to see if you see your VM. If you do not see in datastores then you will need to restore from backup. If you see your VM, open the folder and right click on .vmx file and choose add to inventory.

Mike

0 Kudos