VMware Cloud Community
jigglypop82
Contributor
Contributor

Updating Software/System - What is required?

I am trying to rebuild a vmware environment (that was poorly built!) and as part of that i am looking at upgrading/replacing the software to the latest, but i am unsure what i need to buy as i find it a little complex.

The current build I am wiping and rebuilding has;

vSphere 5 Essentials Plus and ESXi 5.5

vCenter Server 5 Essentials

I have 8 CPUs (2 per host)

There are (now) four hosts and two SANS, so what I can see I would need;

4 x ESXi 6.0

1 x vSphere Standard (6.0)

1 x vCentre 6.0

Can i just upgrade from my current vSphere 5 to version 6? Or do i need to buy new licenses etc?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Well you have licenses for ESXi 5.5 (how many?) enough to cover your CPUs? Do you also have Service and Support? If so, then you would convert your 5.5 licenses to 6.0 licenses and go from there. If you do not you would need to re-license, etc.

I have a similar setup.... Planning is very important at this stage.

-- What are your network layouts? You need minimally 3: Management (including ESXi console + vCenter + VMware Mgmt Suite -- VUM, etc.), vMotion, and at least one for workloads, perhaps more depending on your requirements.

---- I need 6 as I put in an external network, DMZ network, Internal network, Storage Network, vMotion Network, and Management network.

The key is to have a good layout and a good plan for implementation. That implies your network and where you will place all the VMware bits.

ESXi directly on the hosts. Mgmt VMs: VCSA + a Helper VM for other bits (such as VUM, etc.)  is one way to go.

For planning you may wish to check out the vSphere Upgrade Saga

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009-2016

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

Virtualization and Cloud Security Analyst: The Virtualization Practice, LLC -- vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos