VMware Cloud Community
kaleems
Contributor
Contributor

Transporting Virtual Machines

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post to.

I currently have two setups:

VM Ware ESX 2.5.1 (test)

VM Ware ESX 3.0.1 (live)

I am completely new to VM Ware and have just been given the task of trying to figure it out.

What I need to do is be able to take a machine of our ESX 2.5.1 Server and then put it on to a removable drive so we can then take this VM to another company and import it and power it on.

Also this company needs to export one of their machines so I can load it into our infrastructure.

I have been trying to look around for answers and keep coming up with VMKFSTOOLS - but don't know what it is or how to use it.

So I need to know how to do the following:

1) Export one of my esx 2.5.1 VM to a disk and take it to another company

2) Import the 2.5.1 VM into the other company running ESX 2.5.1 and power it on.

3) Export/Import VM into/from our ESX 3.01 Infrastructure.

If anyone could advise how to do what I need to do or maybe send me to some url where i can find the documentation on how to do this - I will be very very greatful.

Regards

Kaleem

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Look at VMware Converter[/url] - it's free and will do the job for you simply.

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
kaleems
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response, i have already tried that but didnt do the job.

Also how do i get the Virtual Machine which i have on a removable drive uploaded?

0 Kudos
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kaleems,

There may be easier ways to do this but this should work:

1. - Export the vmdk disk file using vmkfstools

- Attach your removable disk to another machine on the network

- Copy the exported files from the ESX Host to your removable drive using something like WINSCP

Here is a link to vmkfstools with an example:

http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/02/25/exporting-and-importing-virtual-machines-using-vmkfs...

2. - Attach your removable disk to a system on the other companies network

- Use WINSCP to copy the files to the ESX Host

- Import the vmdk disk file using vmkfstools

- Create a new VM on the ESX System with the same specs as the original machine and select use an existing disk and select the imported vmdk file.

3. Look into something called Dmotion. I haven't used it but from what I heard it simplifies conversions from 2.5 to 3.X

Message was edited by:

rschmidt1300

Corrected Typo in Link

kaleems
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you rschmidt1300 - I will test it today/tomorrow and get back to you.

Regards

kaleem

0 Kudos
kaleems
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rschmidt1300,

Im using putty to do the commands, how do I identify the VMHBA number that a particular VM is on or want to copy it to in the ESX 2.5 Server?

Also am I correct in assuming that if I used the following command:

vmkfstools -e .dsk

This will copy the vmdk file to the .dsk format - and its the .dsk file that I copy using WINSCP to the removable drive and then when I connect this to another server use the tools again to import and convert it?

0 Kudos
kaleems
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have tried following the example on the url "http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/02/25/exporting-and-importing-virtual-machines-using-vmkfstools/"

However I am getting errors of path not found?

I used WINSCP to identify where the file is kept

\[root@daywalker root]# vmkfstools -e /vmfs/vmhba1:0:0:1/test01.vmdk vmhba1:0:0:1:test01.dsk

but I get the following error now:

DiskLib_Open() failed. No such file or directory (131081)

If I try with the following command I get a different error:

\[root@daywalker root]# vmkfstools -e /vmfs/vmhba1:0:0:1/test01.vmdk /vmfs/vmhba1:0:0:1:test01.dsk

Improper SCSI device specification: /vmfs/vmhba1:0:0:1:test01.dsk

I am not sure if the .dsk file is what is created as a result of the export or do I need to moutn a NTFS share somehow to export that .dsk file to..

If i now need to mount a NTFS share - how do I do that and what permissions are required eg anonymous?

Help is appreciated...

Regards

Kaleem

0 Kudos