VMware Cloud Community
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ToutVirtual

Has anyone used this product to monitor their ESX/ VI3 systems? If so what has your experience been.

The VirtualIQ product seems interesting, BUT I can't find much information on the forums regarding the products.

http://www.toutvirtual.com/products/viq_std.php

We are in a constant quest to report/ monitor every aspect of our environments. We are looking at many different products as well as scripting to get us the data that management wants to see.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This looks interesting. I'm wondering how it compares to ESX Charter.

Just out of curiosity, what data is management asking you for? Is it related to capacity, performance, alerts...?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Due to the lack of responses I think I got my answer. I will continue looking at the other more popular products out there along with scripting for the data I need.

Message was edited by:

buckethead

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I'd suggest pulling their 15 day trial and give it a whirl. Maybe you've found a great tool that nobody knows about yet Smiley Wink

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Ken. That makes sense. I am downloading it now and will try to run it against some development machines to see how it looks.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This looks interesting. I'm wondering how it compares to ESX Charter.

Just out of curiosity, what data is management asking you for? Is it related to capacity, performance, alerts...?

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This looks interesting. I'm wondering how it

compares to ESX Charter.

Just out of curiosity, what data is management asking

you for? Is it related to capacity, performance,

alerts...?

Our company lives by metrics. We have dashboards around every major application or technology that we have. For virtualization nobody is currently asking for specific data. In our desktop realm we report on how long a workstation takes to do the following tasks: copy 1 MB file, open email client, go to a few external websites, internal web page, etc.

Mgt also likes to be abe to dive deeper reports. They loved vmkusage/vmktree when we were using 2.5.

At a high level what I am thinking of would be to report on the # of hosts and virtual machines per farm along with helping us to keep track of performance so that we can react to capacity and replenish as needed. So performance reporting is what we are looking for with the ability to utilize/ modify it for capacity reporting. We also want close to real time data. For example, if we are having an issue the performance data should be available to help us see how a host/ virtual machine performed over the last week or month to help us troubleshoot.

Alerting or monitoring is not what we are looking for. I have tried charter a few times and really liked it, but the last time it didn't have a lot of report options yet. They are adding alot of features in the near future and it will get better. I have also looked at getting cacti working in our environment but haven't had the time to pursue.

0 Kudos
Faustina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can use the performance reporting available in virtualcenter.

This has got lot of flexibility in reporting performance data for cpu , disk . network on real time and regular intervals from hours to weeks.

You should try this.

0 Kudos