VMware Cloud Community
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage space find

I am running VMware ESX 3.0.1. Is there a command to that I can use on the Service Console to find the storage adapters and how large are the internal hard drives. I am asking this because, I have a Transfer1, Transfer2 and snap Transfer3 volume or identity. I don't see these volumes anywhere on the 3 SANs we have. I was trying to see if the previous engineer set up VMware locally or what did he do. I don't see WWNs or Volumes created for these volumes.

If you could let me know the command to see the HBAs, LUNs and WWNs from the Service Console I would apprecitate it? I know I can get it from Virtual Center, but I do need to know the command to find the internal drive space.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdZ80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to find out what HBAs are installed try;

'ls /proc/scsi'

this will show you the adapters installed. Look for QLAxxxx, or Emulex. (two of the more popular HBA vendors)

then you will want to try;

'ls /proc/scsi/qla2300'

this will show how many adapters are installed.

if you need more information on the adapters themselves, like the WWNs of the HBAs, try;

'cat /proc/scsi/qla2300/0'

do this for each installed HBA.

to check the LUNs, try;

'ls /vmfs/volumes'

this shows you which volumes are set up with the vmfs filesystem. 'df' shows you the filesystems used by the ESX OS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tdZ80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to find out what HBAs are installed try;

'ls /proc/scsi'

this will show you the adapters installed. Look for QLAxxxx, or Emulex. (two of the more popular HBA vendors)

then you will want to try;

'ls /proc/scsi/qla2300'

this will show how many adapters are installed.

if you need more information on the adapters themselves, like the WWNs of the HBAs, try;

'cat /proc/scsi/qla2300/0'

do this for each installed HBA.

to check the LUNs, try;

'ls /vmfs/volumes'

this shows you which volumes are set up with the vmfs filesystem. 'df' shows you the filesystems used by the ESX OS.

0 Kudos
TSPPNPF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks tdZ80. That is exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't remember and I had lost the paper I had with all of this information. I will definitely put it somewhere secure again. :smileyblush:

Thanks again for the help and the commands.

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Here is also another couple commands you can use to see if you are using SANs or not

1: esxcfg-mpath -l it will show you connections to all your disks. includding internal ones. You are looking for some that have multiple entries. For SAN attached luns you ussually expect to see atleast 4 paths.

2:You can also use esxcfg-vmhbadevs -m this will show you the mappings of your hbas to your VMFS volumes (it only shows the active path) THing to note it will also show your internal disks if you have a VMFS partition on it and also any iscsi ones you might have.

3: finally a really easy one vdf -hl this one shows you all the partitions you have including the vmfs ones their size whats available and where they are mounted.

By the way you should consider updating to atleast esx 3.02 update 1 as there are thousands of fixes between it and esx 3.01. If you do upgrade and manage to get to ESX 3.5 you will also have gotten access to a new utility storage vmotion that allows you to move vmdks around datastores easilly.

0 Kudos