VMware Cloud Community
McGyver
Contributor
Contributor

Starting Desktop VMWare Project

I want to start a VMware Project, using a HP EVOD530 desktop (3.0GHZ, 2Gb mem) i woul like to know what the best Host OS can be (Linux, WinXP, W2K, W2K3) and what best can be used, VMware Workstation or GSX(VMware Server).

The goal is to run 2-3 Windows 2003 Servers and 1 WinXP installation. Can you give me suggestions based upon your expiriences?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If 3 win2k3 and a WinXp vm environment is your goal. I would first increase your hardware. Depending on what you are doing with the win2k3 boxes, that will be your shortcoming. GSX is the best scenario for the goal you are trying to accomplish. If you could bump up and get ESX that would be even better. I guess I need a little more information in your environment and goals.

-go easy
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I am using Server on my HP desktop. 2.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, WinXP-pro. I'm using Server because I'm testing server VMs mostly so I don't need the video features potential of Workstation. (And Server is free.)

I can barely run 2 Win2k server VMs simultaneously with 1.5GB of RAM. If you're only going to start one VM at a time, 2GB RAM will work, but for multiple VMs, as suggested previously, get more RAM.

There have been other threads debating the "best" host OS, but unless you're planning to use ESX, IMO, I don't think you're going to see a significant difference between the host OS' if this is a non-dedicated server. You may want to post more details of your project as some of the things to consider are whether this is a production or dedicated development or test environment, and what you plan to run on the host, if the host is not going to be dedicated.

One major consideration for my office as we're moving toward more virutuilzation is not only what OS I'm comfortable with, but what my coworkers are comfortable with, since they will also have to maintain the same boxes.

0 Kudos
McGyver
Contributor
Contributor

At this moment i run W2K3 with AD on a P3 800Mhz,512Mb and 2x300Gb (Promise Fasttrack TX2300 SATA controller) for primairy DATA Storage and Printing. I Also have a W2K3 ISA Server, with Surfcontrol on a P3 600MHZ, 384Mb an 80Gb. There are 5 users. My "goal" is to consolidate these 2 on 1 VMware "box" an ad 1 XP to it for a local DataBase wich won't run on W2K3.

ESX wont run on the Promise controller i think, and it is not free ;-). Therefore i was thinking about VMWare Workstation or VMWare Server (GSX)

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Well since ESX is out, it would seem that Server is your better choice. With Server you can configure the VMs to autostart. (I'm assuming you want that since you're talking about a AD and ISA server.) If you're XP VM isn't demanding on graphics, then Server could work. Again, if they're all running simultaneously, then I add more RAM as 512MB & 384MB for each Win2k3 server is a little low. (On the other hand, with only 5 users you aren't really taxing any of the servers.)

My recommendation then is Server and use whatever host OS you're comfortable with. You may be able to squeeze all three VMs in 2GB even if you use a Windows OS. Certainly two VMs anyway.

0 Kudos
McGyver
Contributor
Contributor

The old P3 800MHz and P3 600MHz wil be fased out and a HP EVOD530 3GHz 2Gb wil be the new Hardware box.

Does anyone know if it is possible to run ESX on a Promise TX2300 SATA controller? (does ESX has a linux driver for the TX2300) So i can use the 2x300Gb mirror disk for ESX boot and VMware and Data?

0 Kudos
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I doubt it is an issue of it will run on a Promise SATA controller...its prolly just a matter of is it supported...

Since you are looking to do this in a possible test environment then I would use that hardware, but if this is main production box then, I guess your up a creek to buying different hardware.

-go easy
0 Kudos