VMware Cloud Community
pbeckman
Contributor
Contributor

Sharepoint on VI3

We just migrated our Sharepoint frontend web server from physical to virtual and everything looks good except when we try to go into the configuration of the site it gives us some errors. We called M$ and they said they would not help us because it was not supported in VMware only in their virtual server. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are using SP on VI3 with no problems. I think you are going to have to be more specific about your errors/ problems before people in this forum can assist you.

0 Kudos
pbeckman
Contributor
Contributor

Ok here is the specific error

When I am at the root, I go to site settings, the under look and feel, I select save site as a template, I get this error...

Unknown Error

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

This happens in other areas as well.

0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We run our SharePoint (the full environment) POC in VMWare with no issues, but it was built into VI3, not migrated.

I am not a SharePoint admin, but we have seen issues with DNS when migrating (P2V), especially when using VMWare Converter. I would check to make sure all the migrated servers involved are registered and resolving in DNS correctly. I assume SPS is pretty dependent on DNS.

The issues we've seen is you can resolve the name via WINS but not actual DNS. Reregistering the server in DNS and flushing the DNS cache on client machines usually fixed any issues we've seen. Just an idea thrown out there

0 Kudos