VMware Cloud Community
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SCCM 2007 running on VI 3.5

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have tried to run SCCM 2007 in an virtual enviroment?

We are installing it in our site and we are considering to virtualize the servers, but the SMS/MOM manager is not so keen on doing it.

I need some good arguments or whitepapers to convince that person.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChrisDearden
Expert
Expert

Neither is ours Smiley Happy

which is a shame because SCOM is such a scaleable product it would seem on the face of it to be an ideal candidate for virtualisation.

My only wins so far have been Gateway Servers for other AD forests , and the SQL Reporting Services box. (Our Nworks collector which forms part of the SCOM landscape is also virtualised - its one of our busiest VM's

If this post has been useful , please consider awarding points. @chrisdearden http://jfvi.co.uk http://vsoup.net
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's good to hear that we are not alone on this Smiley Happy

Hopefully we can persuade him into having some of the servers on vmware.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

How about, instead of persuading/convincing him to do so .... informing him that you NEED/WANT to do so? Smiley Wink

We have seen this at nauseam with (relatively) big accounts. The infrastructure folks NEED/WANT VMware (as it solves almost all of their problems) whereas application folks HATE VMware (as it only adds an additional layer of complexity for PD/PSI etc).

If we were to get the blessing from the ISV's to do VMware from day 0 ..... we would all be still running a string of low-end / under-utilized / static / dedicated Intel based servers........ which is the perfect ecosystem for those ISVs... but a nightmare for systems administrators (ISVs don't manage those systems, they don't care if it's a mess).

I have exagerated on purpose and maybe you don't want to take this too personal with him ....(you might also wanto to talk to him about the benefits VMware brings to him in terms of fexiblity etc) but it's important we all understand the above.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To me it seems like many ISV are starting to see the advantages with VMware and are also willing to say that running their software on VMware is supported.

To the comment about informing instead of persuading/convincing. I totally agree to that. We are trying to inform people as much as we can, and also pulling in VMware themself to discuss with our administrators/clients.

Many are starting to see the advantages, but some are extremely stubborn and refuse to even talk to us.

The reason for this post was to get some info from other VMware administrators to see what their experience was on this matter.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

> To me it seems like many ISV are starting to see the advantages with VMware and are also willing to say that running their software on VMware is supported.

I think this will happen in the long run. Especially when ISVs will realize that, for example, distributing their SW as a prepackaged VM (virtual appliance) is just a much better way to distribute and support their bits. My feeling is that, as of today, the majority of the ISV blessings are coming because VMware users have been pushing them to do so (not specifically because they see the advantages). At least this is my impression.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have marked this on answered and distributed some points to the people that contributed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit: Last reply got posted 2 times.

0 Kudos
AtleJensen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have closed this thread and distributed some points.

Thanks for participating in the discussion.

0 Kudos