VMware Cloud Community
ixfluffxi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running Mac Applications on a Windows PC?

Hi guys, this is just quick question which I really need answered.

If possible, I would like to run Logic Pro 8, which is a Mac only application, on a Vista Ultimate (or something else) PC. I heard that one of VMware's products, which I cant find, is able to do that.

I know its tough and illegal, but you can run Mac OS X Leopard on a Windows PC with a program like PearPC, but I dont want to get into that if unnecessary. I also know that a Windows version of VMware Fusion is impossible until Leopard runs natively on PC CPUs or whatever.

I heard that you could install Mac applications (with the CDs of course), without installing the Mac OS X, onto a Windows PC with the aid of a VMware program. It would be like VMware Fusion, except without installing the OS X first and therefore not running into any CPU architecture/OS compatibility issues. So, is there any software of VMware's or any other company's out there that could do that or something very similar?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If possible, I would like to run Logic Pro 8, which is a Mac only application, on a Vista Ultimate (or something else) PC. I heard that one of VMware's products, which I cant find, is able to do that.

Logic Pro is audio editing software (well a little bit more as that, but for the general idea, the description works) so using that in a virtualized OSX on Windows Vista isn't exactly going to give you what you need. The reason?

Your sound card will be virtualized and while it is good enough quality for listening, it certainly doesn't cut the mustard when you are authoring music.

There's really just one solution.

Go buy a Mac!

I know the arguments "it's expensive... yada yada...." but if you have any artistic qualities, then you will quickly see that the software you get by default in OSX is much more useful as what you get with Windows Vista. How many tracks can you record in "Sound recorder"? Have you seen the alternative (garageband) in OSX? That's basically Logic Pro light...

With Vista you get the OS and have to buy the rest as the artistic software that's included are toy applications, not fit for daily use. Which in the end makes Vista a more expensive choice as OSX.

I know that I now probably sound as a mactard or something, but I use many more operating systems and OSX is the obvious choice on authoring audio/video/photography while your Vista/WinXP is good for games. With OSX Boot Camp you can have it all (dual boot to windows if required) and with VMware Fusion you can even access your native Windows app from within OSX as if it is a native application.

The software that Tom references might make an end to all this, but right now it is not available, so you don't have the option to use it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

It is possible to install MacOS 10.? into a VM and run applications that way. However, the only version that may be legal to install this way according to Apple is the 10.3 Leopard Server version of MacOS. You will have to check with Apple on that for the legalities. But yes, people have installed MacOS (Intel version) into a VM.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354

As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
ixfluffxi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Ed :smileygrin:

So installing Leopard is necessary to run Logic 8 on a PC, thats even better than just installing the app :).

What is different about the Leopard Server version from regular Leopard?

"People" have also installed Mac OS without a VM also :S , is this a reasonably simple procedure to do?

Which VMware software would I use to do this?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

I would double check the Apple website, why Leopard Server over Leopard? Could be something in the code or just a licensing issue. Perhaps even a supportability issue. You could use VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Virtual Infrastructure, etc.

If it is supported, then even Apple may have solutions documented. In this case search will be your friend. http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2008/06/virtual-leopard.html is where I would start your research.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354

As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

have a read of this blog here site, mac apps on windows

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Leopard server supports virtualisation rights, however there rights are limited to Apple hardware. you cannot under the EULA lawfully run a virtualised copy of Leopard Server in a none Apple machine.

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Logic Pro is audio editing software (well a little bit more as that, but for the general idea, the description works) so using that in a virtualized OSX on Windows Vista isn't exactly going to give you what you need. The reason?

Your sound card will be virtualized and while it is good enough quality for listening, it certainly doesn't cut the mustard when you are authoring music.

There's really just one solution.

Go buy a Mac!

I know the arguments "it's expensive... yada yada...." but if you have any artistic qualities, then you will quickly see that the software you get by default in OSX is much more useful as what you get with Windows Vista. How many tracks can you record in "Sound recorder"? Have you seen the alternative (garageband) in OSX? That's basically Logic Pro light...

With Vista you get the OS and have to buy the rest as the artistic software that's included are toy applications, not fit for daily use. Which in the end makes Vista a more expensive choice as OSX.

I know that I now probably sound as a mactard or something, but I use many more operating systems and OSX is the obvious choice on authoring audio/video/photography while your Vista/WinXP is good for games. With OSX Boot Camp you can have it all (dual boot to windows if required) and with VMware Fusion you can even access your native Windows app from within OSX as if it is a native application.

The software that Tom references might make an end to all this, but right now it is not available, so you don't have the option to use it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Logic in VMware - oh dear - Logic in a Mac VM - oh dear oh dear.

Forget it - even if you use a hi-end USB sound card the latency will not be what you need for Logic.

I tried Cubase with an Alesis USB-soundcard in a XP guest - which is a much better start than Logic in a MAC-VM and even that was not good enough

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
ixfluffxi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ouch, I thought Logic would be able to utilize the PC's sound card. Since it can't, yes, that's kinda an issue 😛

I know the PC vs Mac arguments inside and out; you're not a "mactard", you're just correct. I just wanted to explore the possibility of using a PC instead to save (quite) a few bucks, but I guess I'll have to give up and submit to Apple's pricing. The extreme simplicity of which I could complete my goal of dual operating systems, and Logic 8 and Crysis, is worth the extra dollars anyway.

I'll keep an open eye out for any news of the future software Tom spoke of, but for now, hello Mac Pro. I don't think I'll use VMware Fusion at first because I highly doubt Call of Duty 4 and Crysis are native applications (or are they?).

Thank you very much guys for all your help,

Cheers.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well I think Continuum hit the nail on the head, as a musician it is the latency that kills the final part of virtualized Logic Pro being useful at all.

I am a windows convert as they say and there's no doubt in my mind that buying a mac was a really good investment.

Cubase and friends have never floated my boat and while LADSPA/jackd in linux is great, it asks for more tweaking as I like in my free time (UbuntuStudio was nice though) keeping me from actually using the software. With Garageband I never had that problem and just started using the software.

With the option to run Windows in a boot camp partition and nowadays running in Fusion, you can basically have it all.

There is DirectX support now in the new Fusion 2.0 and there are people reporting that they can play windows games. But not all of them as not all shader models are supported.

Fusion is only 70 bucks or something so isn't that expensive for what you get back (you can virtualize that same boot camp partition and use it virtualized as well)

I don't know if those games have osx native binaries.

--

Wil

0 Kudos