VMware Cloud Community
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Resize Virtual disk with converter

I am looking at resizing a vmdk with converter. I have two virtual disks, a C: drive and a 😧 drive. Also has 3 Raw Mapped Luns. I want to resize the 😧 drive so I could use Gpart ,Disk part or Partition Magic. If I run this VM through the converter will it cause anything bad to happen to my Raw Mappped Luns or will this work?

Mike

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may also consider a couple other option outlined in these links

if you feel this or any other answer was useful please consider the use of the "correct" or "helpful" buttons to award points.

msemon1
Expert
Expert

I have seen the doucment on VMware-Land which is an excellent resource. I am going to use the method with Gpart unless I can do this with converter. I am hesitant to use converter since Ihave multiple disks plus 3 Raw Mapped Lun's. It may work fine, just never trying running a Vm like this through coverter.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you shouldn't have any problems with converter either. You can select the volumes in which you want to resize. Now if the volumes you want to resize are the RDM, then I don't know for sure how that would work

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

IMHO there exists not a single good reason to resize vmdks with Converter.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Why would you not use Converter? is there a risk in using Converter.

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I tried using Gpart , It booted up fine however, i could only see the first VMDK the C: drive. is there a trick to seeing other drives.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Why would you not use Converter? is there a risk in using Converter.

You want to resize a vmdk - you do not want to fiddle with the drivers of the system. Converter has no option to leave the system alone.

Compared with other methods Converter is slow and unreliable.

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
DCTony
Contributor
Contributor

IMHO converter is the only way to go. It works and works well. It may be slow, but you can run Converter while the system is running, so who cares, go have lunch or something. I've never had a bad experience with a server that I used Converter to shrink the disk size on.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The discussion Converter or not is moot.

There are several ways to resize disks while Converter is the only one which does it 100% per GUI.

The faster and more reliable ones need commandline work.

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Another vote for converter, it works a treat!

Now, if only converter didn't suck on NT and 2k 😐

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

I just tested using converter to resize a virtual disk. it sees the C: drive and works fine for that, however, it is not seeing other virtual disks. Can you use converter for other virtual disks besides the primary or C: drive?

0 Kudos
DCTony
Contributor
Contributor

yes. You should see the separate disks in a drop down unless it's changed since I last used. Just in case I pulled this from the documentation:

Specify the volume size for each volume in the New Disk Space drop‐down menus and click Next

0 Kudos