VMware Cloud Community
fcouture
Contributor
Contributor

Reduce a vm disk

Hello,

I want to reduce the size of a vm hard disk. Actually the disk is 22Go and I want it to be 18Go.

How can I do this? Should I use converter?

Thank you.

Frank

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Best way to do this is to use converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Gauss1777
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any other ways?

I'm currently using Ubuntu and VMware Workstation 6.5 for linux. I would like to reduce the size of a virtual disk that's used for Windows XP, not only the logic size of the virtual disk but also it's phisical files, since I created the Virtual Disk to use all it's designed space since its creation.

The only things that comes to my mind is use a thrid party backup software inside the guest OS which would create a bootable disk and backup also the MBR and sector 0 of the virtual drive. This software would output a file through the virtual network to the Host OS. Then I would just delete the VM and create a new one with a virtual disk big enough to hold all the resotoration of the VM. I would boot the VM with a disc or an ISO created by the third party software. The third party software is also capable to resize and write all files to the new virtual disk when restoring.

I have done that before and it works, but it takes its time and free disk space on the Host OS or other machine on the network. Is there an easier way or other alternatives?

I wonder if it's possible to resize the partition on the Virtual Disk either by an external tool or with a third party software inside the Guest OS (latter one possible) and then any other VMware tool that can detect unused partitions inside the virtual disk and its resizing.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

VMware Converter can reduce the size of disks for Windows based VMs.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
lorito
Contributor
Contributor

Hi:

I tried to use VMware Converter to increase the size of disks, but it didn't created a bigger one... I read in the help file, that VMWare Converte will create a VMware virtual disk file that it will grows when neccesary, but it doesn't work in such a manner... Could you please help me ?...

I am running CentOS 5 in the virtual machine (using VMWare Player), under Windows XP...

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

I read the question wrong, erased my reply!

Message was edited by: Frank_D

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
Gauss1777
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for help Texiwill. BTW, is it only available for Windows? Should I run it on a Windows Host only?

Any other alternatives?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

add a second 18 Gb disk to the VM - boot into a ghost or Acronis-LiveCD or Linux-Live with gparted and clone large-disk to small-disk.

When done remove large-disk.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos