VMware Cloud Community
bmatherne
Contributor
Contributor

Reboot Host in Progress

I tried to reboot one of my ESX 3 hosts through virtual center and the task is stuck "In Progress." It has been this way for almost 20 hours now and I canoot cancel the task. I tried to clear this by rebooting the host from the console. The host rebooted successfully, but the task has not cleared. What else can I do to clear this task out?

I don't have any VMs running on this host right not for fear that it could reboot at any second. The original reason for rebooting was to clear out 2 tasks for VMs that would not start (this problem has since been resolved).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try disconnecting your host and then re-adding it?

What method did you use to reboot your host? Did you right click it and select reboot from the menu, or did you select the host and click reboot on the Summary tab?

I've found that sometimes when I try to enter my host into maintenance mode from the 'right-click' menu, sometimes it wont migrate the hosts, but selecting it from the Summary tab it works fine.

0 Kudos
bmatherne
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but this didn't work.

Originally, I had issued the reboot from the summary tab, but I did not put the host in maintenance mode, which could be my problem. I just tried putting the host in maintenance mode(summary tab) to see if that task would go through. After 15 minutes, the task was still there. I issued another reboot(summary tab). This reboot completed, but the original reboot task did not clear.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What if you restart the Virtual Center Server Service?

Chris

0 Kudos
bmatherne
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work. Restarted service and rebooted virtual center server. Neither one worked.

0 Kudos