VMware Cloud Community
johndo3
Contributor
Contributor

RE: VMware Mac virtualization

hi,

is there a vmware product out there for windows machines that can create a virtual machine for the mac os in particular tiger 10.4.10 and for the upcoming leopard 10.5.

thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
constant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope, and it's not likely to happen any time soon.

You see, Apple have this licencing straight jacket in place that is central to their whole ethos of doing business.

Apple have written code into their operating systems that only allow it to run on specific hardware.

Steve Jobs may well be highly innovative, and particularly brilliant, but he's even more anal.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Judge
Contributor
Contributor

No it won't happen is correct. However, you can run Darwin on there because it should show up like BSD kernel and the binary translation is still in the vmkernel, just not supported I think. Kinda like SCO.

Andrew Judge

MCSE: Security, RHCE, ACHDS, ACTC, CSSA, CCA, NCIE, A, Security, 3Com VoIP, VCP, VSP

Contact us by e-mail: support@grovenetworks.com

\----

CEO, Grove Networks Inc.

Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Certified Apple Consultant Network Member

3Com Voice Authorized Partner

Silver Citrix Partner

VMware VIP

Phone: 305.448.6126

Fax: 305.437.7685

http://www.grovenetworks.com

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is a legal and technical reason(s) you can't do this. The OS X EULA says you can only run it on Apple-branded hardware. The virtual hardware we present is generic, and arguably not "Apple hardware" even though (say with Fusion) the underlying hardware may be a Mac.

One technical problem is that OS X uses EFI, not the older BIOS standard. Since no VMware product currently supports EFI, you can't run OS X as a guest.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>Since no VMware product currently supports EFI, you can't run OS X as a guest.

Might want to change that to "you can't run a retail (unpatched/unhacked) OS X as a guest", as it can[/b] be done - just not legally.

0 Kudos
johndo3
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I know, but I don't want to promote the hacked versions. Hacked OS X is arguably not OS X, so my statement is sort of true Smiley Happy

0 Kudos