VMware Cloud Community
Laire
Contributor
Contributor

Possible with vmware?

Hello,

hope it is the right community to post my question.

Is it possible to install a vitual Windows Vista and run Games with 3D Accerlation like Call of Duty 4? And when it is possible, how is the peformance and wich Software i need?

Greetings from Germany

Markus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

VMware ESX 3.5 and VMware Workstation 6.5 are not the technology to aim at gamers especially high end graphics like Call of Duty but you can always experiment them by assigning more RAM to virtual machines (VISTA, XP) whatever and load the game up and test. I know the next generation will focus on high speed protocol call PC over IP, which will allows for better performance on 3D graphic such as AutoCAD etc..

If you want to test it, you can use VMware Workstation 6.5 and create Vista machine and give it plenty of RAM to see how good it runs and repeat that if you want to test it on ESX 3.5 platform. There are also VMware Server, Player and ESX 3.5i as well. You might be able to play Call of Duty on a virtual machine but may experience with graphic lag and performance. MAKE SURE to enable 3D acceleration option.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Concentrate on VMware Workstation as there are somethings you can do, but do not expect ESX or VMware Server work for gaming.... At the last VMworld US (2008) there was a poster on high speed graphics within VMware Workstation. TO run games within Server/ESX/ESXi you really need a high speed graphics protocol over RDP or something similar.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos