VMware Cloud Community
gbargsley
Contributor
Contributor

Physical to Virtual OS Activation Issue

I have had the toughest time with this. Whether I use VMWare Convert to convert a physical Dell Optiplex Desktop machine running Windows XP Pro SP2 to virtual or I create a new VHD and restore a ghost image of the same machine, I always get prompted to Activate Windows.

The funny thing is we have a VLA for XP Pro with 10,000 licenses and it continues to tell me it is an invalid product key. I have talked to Microsoft twice and get the run around and no one can answer me.

I am trying to figure out how I can get my current desktop configuration in a Virtual Machine. I am doing some new software testing and would like to use VMWare to assist in this, but I am having no luck.

I have a VMWare Server 2.0 and ESXi 3.5 servers setup and both give me the same result. Any and all help would be awesome.

Thanks

gb

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If the Windows that is installed on the Dell was the one that originally came with the system, then it is most likely and OEM version. Dell OEM versions of Windows will not properly reactivate on anything except Dell machines, which is probably why you can't reactivate with your volume license.

Me personally, I prefer to do a clean install for desktop OS'. I use Converter when I need to clone some production servers for testing, but for the most part, desktops I do clean installs. If you must convert your Dell desktop, then after the conversion, you need to do a repair install with your volume license. You'll need to boot the converted VM wth and appropriate Windows installer CD for your volume license, then when Setup detects your existing Windows, have it repair. Thiw will reinstall Windows with the volume license version. The volume license installer CD should be the same or higher service pack than what's on the Dell now.

0 Kudos
priddyj
Contributor
Contributor

If you're getting prompted and getting an error when you enter your VLK, then you (whoever installed these desktops) didn't use the VL media from Microsoft nor the VLK they would have provided with the agreement in the beginning.

Best practice if you're in a volume agreement, always wipe the machines when you get them and install using your volume media (or image the machine using an image created from volume media).

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

A microsoft activation key is based on a hash of a set of hardware unique IDs. When you convert to virtual many of the hardware components are different, which deactivates windows. You simply need to reactivate again - nothing you can do to prevent this

0 Kudos