VMware Cloud Community
Carlos201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Overwhelmed By VMware Choices

I am new to VMware & really just am a bit overwhelmed with all the available options. There seems to be so many available options of products and would like to know if someone could break down maybe two or three of the most commonly used products from VMware.

I basically am looking for something from VMware that I can load on a standalone Linux server to host several virtual hosts of Linux / Solaris / Windows. I just don't know if I would need VMware Server, VMware Workstation, or VMware ESXi.

Can someone tell me what would be the best fit for someone who just wants to take one massive server with sufficient hardware to host multiple virtual guests from a server perspective.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware Server is free. Workstation is not, you can have it with 60 day trial and after that you need to purchase a license - but you can run VMs with the free VMware Player (but not edit them - only with Workstation).

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you want to run it on top of linux like a virtualization server, you should pick VMware Server. VMware Workstation is more intended to run, as the name say, on your own workstation with test VMs, for example. VMware ESX is a more elaborated solution, and it will not run on linux or windows - it is a virtualization operational system itself, and must be installed as one.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
Carlos201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. I agree and will try VMware Server. I was told that there is a free version of 'Server' but I don't know if there is a free version of 'Workstation' in case I want to try it on my Linux desktop PC. Do you happen to know if 'Workstation' has a free version too?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware Server is free. Workstation is not, you can have it with 60 day trial and after that you need to purchase a license - but you can run VMs with the free VMware Player (but not edit them - only with Workstation).

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...but you can run VMs with the free VMware Player (but not edit them - only with Workstation).

Actually, you can create and edit VMs starting with Player version 3. You just don't get the advanced features of Workstation like teaming.

0 Kudos
Carlos201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I downloaded VMware Server.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would recommend Server also for running on your Linux box. That is exactly my desktop configuration that I use.

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos