VMware Cloud Community
kevin7890
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbie Q: Windows XP activation?

Hi-

Sorry for the newbie question, but I want to make sure this problem is solvable before purchasing Workstation 6:

1. I have an HP NC8430 lappy with Windows XP pro (activated)

2. I used VM Converter to make an image of my Windows XP pro

3. I used a trial Workstation to launch this image in HP NC8430

XP is asking me to activate the license again? Since I already activated my host copy, I don't want to WGA again.

The purpose of using Workstation is to to do some light application compatibility testing before installing apps on my host OS.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyway around it so that I don't have to reactivate my XP?

TIA!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry man, I think you are going to need to activate it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
chandlm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can't find any specific document to point you towards right now, but technically you are running two copies of the OS which would mean you need two licenses...

Message was edited by:

chandlm

FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are using a User / OEM License of XP, which means when enough of the hardware changes it is going to require re-activation. Going from physical to virtual will have enough of the hardware change at once for the OS to think it is on completely new hardware.

Volume Licensing copies do not make you do this.

BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry man, I think you are going to need to activate it.

0 Kudos
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you read the EULA from Microsoft you can't do what you're doing unless you buy another license.

Actually I don't think you can even transfer an OEM license from that particular hardware to another piece of hardware.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

that is correct, ith OEM hardware the license dies with the hardware and is none transferable.

the lawful position here would be to purchase another license. Reactivation cannot be bypassed because as has been previously stated a Physical to VM migration is a machine change of more than three monitored items.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
kevin7890
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My company provides corporate xp pro copy for this purpose so I guess I have to follow this route. I just didn't want to go through the whole installation process...

Thanks for the answers guys!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Kevin

if you found the answers usefull, remember to award points to the posters.

regards

Tom

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos