VMware Cloud Community
fulken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to VMware, Which product to use.....

I need 3 separate PCs for applications that conflict each other. I want to use VMware with one PC with one base Win XP pro, and virtually run 3 different applications on one PC.

Which VMware product does fit the best and most cost effective? Does the Hard Drive have to be 3 times bigger?

Thank you,

Kenji

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is going to be a stand alone PC. Occasionally I

have to connect private network (no internet) to

communicate with industrial machinery.

I would probably use VM Workstation just for cost-effectiveness and since you are not using it for a networked app.

I think it is more like admin tool. If my base XP and

each application is 30GB, is my minimum Hard drive

requirement 90GB(30GB x 3)?

That is correct!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Are these going to be networked applications?

2. Do they have client access or are they admin tools? As for the hard drive question, you need to have enough physical space on your drive to accomadate the virtual hard drives of the VMs.

Basically, if you had 100Gigs of space you can chunk up that space b/t the three machines but you cannot allocate 150Gigs because you don't have that much space. Make sense? For your VMs, if you use your admin workstation (which is what it sounds like) you can use VM workstation and install three VMs, each with the operation system and application software needed.

If you are going to use network apps, i.e. email, web filtering, and so forth, GSX is a good starter for you to use. If you search the VM site with "gsx" you will get some good info. I wouldn't use ESX until you are prepared for it. Make sure to read up.

If this helps please award "help" points.

Justin

Message was edited by:

BoucheJ

BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used GSX for almost a year running student email, skypilot (wireless), web hosting, snmp management, webmail, and DNS. The only time they went down was if there was a power failure. Very solid and uses the resources available very well.

Justin

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which VMware product does fit the best and most cost

effective?

Obviously, VMWare Server and Player are very cost effective because they're free. If the applications don't need intense graphics or USB2 support, then you could try starting off with Server. For USB and better graphics support, Workstation 6 or Player 2 would be better.

Does the Hard Drive have to be 3 times bigger?

As said, each virtual machine needs it's own hard drive file. So normally, yes, you'd need 3x the space. However, you could make the files "growable" which means they start off small and grow to the maximum size set when you created them. But all are still limited by the total HD space of your actual physical HD. IOW, you could make 3 500GB virtual HDs and store them on a 100GB HD, but none of your virtual machines could ever store 500GB. The max total of the 3 virtual HDs would be 100GB.

Also growable virtual HDs have slightly less performance than if you allocate all the space at the beginning. So you have to decide which is more important, performance or HD space.

fulken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is going to be a stand alone PC. Occasionally I have to connect private network (no internet) to communicate with industrial machinery.

I think it is more like admin tool. If my base XP and each application is 30GB, is my minimum Hard drive requirement 90GB(30GB x 3)?

Thank you,

Kenji

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is going to be a stand alone PC. Occasionally I

have to connect private network (no internet) to

communicate with industrial machinery.

I would probably use VM Workstation just for cost-effectiveness and since you are not using it for a networked app.

I think it is more like admin tool. If my base XP and

each application is 30GB, is my minimum Hard drive

requirement 90GB(30GB x 3)?

That is correct!!

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please award us points if this was helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fulken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also beginner for this Forum With “helpful and correct”! Wow it is very good system!

Justin and asatoran,

Thank you very much for your support!

Kenji

0 Kudos