VMware Cloud Community
riteshpandey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Server using template

Hi, I have a template created which had multiple applications installed. Now i want to restore it as a new system. How can i replace all the possible values in this new system with new name. Is there post script which can help me to do that. Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

not really, without knowing all the locations, ini files names and settings within, registry keys etc that the applications write their uniqueness to. this would be next to imposible, reg is fairly simple a simple seach and replace (maybe) however if there are ini files of other configuration files each one would need to be read and a search and replace done.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What VMware product are you using?

0 Kudos
riteshpandey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using ESX Server Ver.2

0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you're just wanting to reset name/ip/SID etc, use SysPrep from microsoft. It's made specifically to address these issues.

What OS is on it? We can get you a link to the tool to run (or place on your VirtualCenter server if you have one) to make this pretty simple

Message was edited by:

Paul.B

0 Kudos
riteshpandey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

reset name/ip/SID etc definatly that is taken care by the sysprep. but if i have multiple application which are server name and ipaddress specific. is there any script or tool which i can run and all the entries (i.e. filenames, foldernames, registry entries, metadata information etc.) in system can be modified in one go.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

not really, without knowing all the locations, ini files names and settings within, registry keys etc that the applications write their uniqueness to. this would be next to imposible, reg is fairly simple a simple seach and replace (maybe) however if there are ini files of other configuration files each one would need to be read and a search and replace done.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would tend to agree with Tom on this one. You would want to make your template w/o the application installed and do a clean install every time you deploy the template. Otherwise I think you're just asking for trouble trying to reconfig each application.

0 Kudos