VMware Cloud Community
paulsol
Contributor
Contributor

NetApp or Equalogic??

Hi,

We are about to implement VMWARE to virtualise approximately 50 servers and part of this project will be to replace our current aging SAN.

As well as VMWARE the new SAN will be hosting a 2000 mailbox Exchange 2003 cluster and a Windows 2003 file cluster with user shares and roaming profiles.

Our requirements have gone out to market and basically the following solutions are proposed:-

NetApp

\----

FAS270 HA Bundle (300GB FC Drives) on Primary Site

FAS270 (500GB SATA Drives) on Secondary Site

iSCSI Implementation

SnapMirror Software

SnapDrive Software

SnapManager for Exchange

SnapManager for SQL

Equalogic

\----

2x PS 3600X (300GB SAS Drives) One on Primary Site / One on Secondary Site

Does anyone have any comments on these two storage solutions and what problems, advice and recommendations can you all give.

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have no experience with NetApp, but I can tell you that EqualLogic is EASY to install, configure, and use. They advertise 20 minutes from power up to populating a new SAN volume, and that was just about how long it took. And I was a SAN newbie. They have great tech support that knows VMware too. I can unequivocally recommend EqualLogic.

And the cloning feature of the PS arrays makes volume replication to your DR unit a snap.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The NetApps are very solid boxes. NetApp does choose to charge you extra for many features. NetApps are easy to setup and configure as well.

I don't think I could be serving 14 shelves 20 minutes after the boxes arrive, but I could serve 14 shelves 20 minutes after they were racked.

That being said, I'd get your best Equalogic quote and go to NetApp and see what they can do.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
stisidore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would definitely consider the EqualLogic solution having used and deployed both vendors.

The Netapp is a solid product, but the grid storage approach that EqualLogic incorporates into its product is what NetApp was trying to accomplish with DataOnTap GX and never could pull off with its FAS3000 or FAS200/2000 series. Also, be aware of the limitations of the FAS200x series. Once you reach capacity, its forklift upgrade time.

Last, replication is built into EqualLogic's software package (no license fee) and they just announced a host-based SQL backup&restore/cloning/and replication tool that is similar to SMS - again w/o extra charge.

0 Kudos
bbailie
Contributor
Contributor

I would choose netapp everyday and twice on Sundays. The product just works and will be around for many more years. A couple of points, get a quote for a 2020 or 2050. They were just announced. Also purchase flexclone you will not regret it. Someone early said get your best equallogic quote but use that to purchase netapp. Equal logic is a good product but they are having issues with JV money and are looking to IPO, so the future is unknown. Also you dont have to forklift upgrade a netapp. They disk you purchase can be used in future products.

0 Kudos
AustinPowers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would choose netapp everyday and twice on Sundays.

The product just works and will be around for many

more years. A couple of points, get a quote for a

2020 or 2050. They were just announced. Also purchase

flexclone you will not regret it. Someone early said

get your best equallogic quote but use that to

purchase netapp. Equal logic is a good product but

they are having issues with JV money and are looking

to IPO, so the future is unknown. Also you dont have

to forklift upgrade a netapp. They disk you purchase

can be used in future products.

You are already looking at these add-ons:

iSCSI Implementation

SnapMirror Software

SnapDrive Software

SnapManager for Exchange

SnapManager for SQL

Now you're being advised to throw in Flexclone. A thousand bucks here, a thousand bucks there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.

EqualLogic has everything included with the main product. No options offered except support. And EqualLogic can be expanded simply by dropping in a new box, no forklift needed for it either.

Do a heads up comparison and see for yourself. Call EqualLogic and ask for a demo. They will put you in the driver's seat and watch you step through the setup in about 15 minutes. So easy a caveman can do it.

Regarding IPO's and ownership, Hilton announced yesterday they are going private in a $28 Billion deal, and you can imagine the cost cutting that will ensue from that. There is no company anywhere that wouldn't change owners in a heartbeat if the $ is right. I'd place that at about last in priority of line-item comparisons of products.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ford or Chevy, Moet or Cristal.

Microsoft used to give away Terminal Server cals. Software terms can change like everything else.

NetApp has a simulator that you can download to run thru the setup. I'm sure that they would demo a config if you were interested. We're at the point with NetApp that if I'm not careful what I ask for a truck shows up in a couple days with a test system. All I was saying with the quote is that you have to be prepared with NetApp when it comes to price. They do add many things in. And those software licenses just evaporate when you get a new piece of hardware. But the list prices are not what most customers pay....

All I'm saying is to get sales involved, see if you can get your hands on one or at least see a demo, and then compare the prices that they will commit to. Better yet see if they will let you have a loaner system.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
Raid101
Contributor
Contributor

To just address the "Who knows the future of Equallogic" Dell just purchased Equallogic for 1.4 Billion dollars yes that's with a B for Billion!!!!!!

0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I hope DELL will leave Equalogic as is. Since, DELL has some technical support issues and that will scare new (Equalogic) customers away knowing that they purchased Equalogic.

0 Kudos