VMware Cloud Community
WPJ
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Physical Servers mapped to a single virtual server possible (for DR Scenario)

We have a group of relatively small servers (2 processors each) in a remote location that we would like to consider for use in "backing up" (for a disaster recovery scenario) a heavily-utilized 4-cpu application server that is using 4 dual-core processor slots. To be able to do this, I assume that we need to be able to configure a VMware Virtual Server that will span multiple physical boxes (at least two, I assume). I know we can map multiple virtual servers onto one physical box, but can we do the reverse? I can't seem to find any references to this anywhere. Is this possible? Is it advisable?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You will not be able to combine the resources of many ESX hosts to run a single VM accross them at the same time. A VM will only be able to run on a single ESX host. Currently ESX only supports 4 virtual CPU VMs so the disaster recovery server would only be able to use the processing capacity of 4 physical CPU cores on the host that it's running on.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The amount of times that this question comes up. you'd think somebody would sit up and take notice. Smiley Happy Unfortunately it can not be done it cannot e done with any VMware product, there was a competitor of VMware called Virtual Iron that had a product out that did this however has died a death, Massimo and myself disagree on this but I do lament the loss of that product, it did show promise.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
WPJ
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Thanks - I had a feeling that this may be the case, but this verifies

it.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
WPJ
Contributor
Contributor

Tom,

Thanks - I had a suspicion that this would not work, but you've

confirmed it. We will have to explore other solutions.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos