VMware Cloud Community
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VMware datafiles

Hi,

I have a question about moving my vmware data files.

Situation:[/b]

1 Server with Ubuntu-Server as host OS & VMware server installed. 3 Windows 2003 Enterprise Editions vmware images installed on the LOCAL disk of the server.

Plan of action:[/b]

Moving the datafiles to another server (our fileserver) with Windows 2003 Standard Edition as host OS. Readd them again in vmware console and continue working.

What's been done:[/b]

\- Created a NFS share on the Windows Server with the correct rights.

\- Remove the server from inventory in VMware Console

\- Moved the files from the ubuntu server to the windows server

\- Readd the server again in VMware console.

\- Start up server and everything works.

Now what's the problem then?![/b]

\- When readding the server in VMware console, it takes aaaaaaaaages to get to the files on the windows server. It takes 30 minutes for each dir!!!! I think this is a Windows <> Linux problem.

Anyone who can help me? Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance,

Antony

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

shameless bump!

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

If i understand you right you are trying to move disk files from a Linux to Windows. To do that i use FastScp ( www.veeam.com/veeam_fast_scp.asp ) This little app can also copy between ESX servers via Windows gui if you like that. This fastScp is a lot faster that WinScp even though Winscp has a better GUI.

/LL

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

Copying the files works great, no problem there.

Just readding the vmmachine in the vmware console again is taking ages. I have go to go the right directory on the windows machine and it takes 20 mins for a folder to open... 😕

0 Kudos
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

No one? 😕

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

I have go to go the right directory on the windows machine and

it takes 20 mins for a folder to open

Are you sure your network speed and duplex are correct?

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, full gigabit network.

Opening files from another linux server goes smooth so it really is a Linux <> Windows problem!!

Locking issue I presume...

Kind of stuck here 😕

0 Kudos
AntonyW
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still stuck here, no one who can help? 😕

0 Kudos