VMware Cloud Community
HPPatel
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Cluster Services with Windows 2003 SP1 and VMware ESX

Hello

I have just been browsing this site and I discovered that MSCS on a Windows 2003 Server with SP1 is not supported on VMware ESX 3.0. There was no date stamp on the document, but Server 2003 is now R2 SP1. Is that the same thing or have VMware and Microsoft found the solution to the problem.

If anyone has any information, could you please let me know.

Regards

H

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Godsbrother
Contributor
Contributor

We are planning our VMware project sine 1 year. First

we are waiting for VI3 and than for MSCS support for

SP1. This really sucks!

I agree completely. I am just about to order the servers and VMWare software for a new project and have had to modify the plans due to no MSCS support. Doesn't stop me virtualising other servers just means I had to do the clusters differently.

They really need to be more open with whats going on about this!

Message was edited by:

Godsbrother

0 Kudos
atzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If something doesn't do soon, I believe slowly, that they simply can't it.

We already thought whether we should wait for the longhorn server that comes with a virtualization on Board. But my hope still exists!

0 Kudos
Godsbrother
Contributor
Contributor

They also have Xen Enterprise to worry about. Thats looking very promising, we had some of there developers in looking at some of our servers a few weeks ago doing some testing.

Its a very nice product at an exceptional price and if it wasn't for the fact they have only just started supporting windows then we would of gone done that road.

But next time I need to get more VM's up and I need more hardware then I will look at it again maybe even before then for Test/Dev.

0 Kudos
atzi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

VMware have released a patch. Clustering wit ESX 3.0.1 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 and R2 is now supported!

See:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/esx-3199476-patch.html

Greetings

Atzi

0 Kudos