VMware Cloud Community
stefanfeindt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Matching VMware software for my case

I am a programmer for a building automation (LonWorks, LON). There has been released a new programming software that is not compatible with the current software and cannot be used on the same PC / operating system together with the current software.

Since I have to manage both old and new software projects I have been asking the software manufacturer how to handle both softwares on the same PC. I was recommended to use VMware.

Now I found out that are a lot of different VMware softwares.

Can anybody tell me what software is matching with my case?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would recommend Workstation.[/url]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would suggest that you purchase a copy of VMware Workstation and create the virtual machine the way you need it. The, use VMware Player to run it.

Jason

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would recommend Workstation.[/url]

0 Kudos
stefanfeindt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Brian, dear Jason,

thank you for your statements. Meanwhile I found out that there is a free version of VMware server. Would this VMware server software be sufficient for my needs?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards, Stefan Feindt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Server is designed for non-console-interactive machines. (File severs, print servers.) Server may be sufficient, for you, but it does not have support for 3D graphics, etc, and is not officially supported on workstation OS' like Windows XP and Vista. Workstation is geared more toward developers and their needs which is why it was recommended to you.

You may want to take a look at the FAQ for server.

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html

You can download Workstation as a 30 day trial. So try both to see if you need/want the additional features of Workstation.

0 Kudos