VMware Cloud Community
BreakingPoint
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for help with a VMware solution

I'm in the evaluation stages of a solution to help my department easily test the software and fixes we develop. I would really like to use VMware to help us as we test on pretty much every platform out there. While VMware can't do HPUX it can do the three major OSs we deal with(Windows, Linux, Solaris). Currently we just have a bunch of different servers set up, I think I count 5 or 6 physical machines just for the three major OSs, and they are all messy with lots of other work having been done and never cleaned up. I would like to consolidate this down to one file server. My idea is to create a bunch of VMs and have the developers pull these images onto their laptops to do all the testing in that environment. So far VMware can do pretty much exactly what I want it to do. The only problem is that when fully configured the images turn out to be about 10GBs, which would take a long time to move around, even on our wired network speeds. So right now my major blocking point is the large size of the VM.

Ultimately I envision the developer creating the fix on their host system, in our case that's Windows. Then when it is time to test they pull down the VM, compile on that platform, and test on that platform. When they are all done they just delete the image or revert back to a previous snapshot to clean the environment for future use. We would also set up an automated process to kick off our automated testing on each platform.

I have some big plans for this solution, but as I said earlier the size issue is a damper on the proceedings. Any suggestions to help me out?

Thanks ahead of time!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Investigate VMware Lab Manager product, it was designed for exactly this situation, it allows a golden image, which then runs multiple snapshots to individual users, you can find the blurb about it here

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a reason to have the VMs on the developers' laptops? I agree with the previous poster that Virtual Lab Manager would be a great solution if they can do their testing across the lan. If the images MUST be local, they can work with snapshots of a single image (of each OS) to test their work. That is assuming you don't update the image very often. As long as the testing can be done while the laptops are connected, the Virtual Lab is your best bet.

BreakingPoint
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot! That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I hadn't previously looked into the server solutions

0 Kudos