VMware Cloud Community
dalberico4409
Contributor
Contributor

Is Cisco UCS Port Aggregation Unsupported by VMware????

So I'm looking to get a good answer on this....

UCS has big share in the market, Part of the cool thing with UCS is you create agregated links to your core, and some storage paths and off you go, you create vnics for managment and production and hbas and you are off.

I have also heard because of this, this doesn't follow VMware best practices to have separate links for managment, production, ...and so on and VMware doesn't support the UCS architecture.....Is this true. I thought VMware and Cisco developed this together???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it is supported - after all VMware has partnered woth Cisco and EMC to form VCE and their offering is built of of the UCS platform

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

You can also check this one..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-19068

0 Kudos
hstagner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For every best practice, there is a history as well as exceptions. The best practice you are talking about (separate physical links for different traffic types) is rooted in the 1GbE world where bandwidth was a consideration. In a 10GbE infrastructure, it is common to aggregate the traffic types on the same physical link because there is more bandwidth. If you still want NIC separation in the UCS you can always use the Virtual Interface Card (VIC) to carve up several vNICs for the different traffic types for both administrative separation and QoS opportunities on each NIC. As with any "best practice," it is best to question and know the history behind the best practice and examine whether it still applies today to your particular environment.

----------------------------------------- Don't forget to mark this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful (you'll get points too). Regards, Harley Stagner VCP3/4, VCAP-DCD4/5, VCDX3/4/5 Website: http://www.harleystagner.com Twitter: hstagner
0 Kudos