VMware Cloud Community
BoazAmir
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESX servers from different vendors

Hello

I would like to know whether i can create a Cluster of ESX whit servers from different vendors ? For one example – one ESX Server is IBM saerver, and the other esx is HP.

(The ESX version is 4)

Whether there will be a problem when I try to transfer virtual machines between those servers (not whit HA, by copying between hosts) ?

Thanks in advance

Boaz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Boaz,

You can create a cluster with physical machines from different vendors. Depending on the functionalities you'd like to enable on your cluster (HA, DRS, FT) you will have to satisfy specific requirements, in terms of processor vendors, generations, numbers, networks, storage... But having HPs and IBMs in the same cluster is possible.

Regards

Franck

BoazAmir
Contributor
Contributor

The functionality that interests me most is the ability to move virtual machines (powerd off) from host to each other without having to change the virtual hardware.

HA, DRS and FT are not a problem because I'm not using them. Transfer from host to each other is manually (copy paste).

All VM's are on local storage.

0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

If you want to use the limited features of VMware ESX server as mentioned by you in the blog.You can use the different vendor hardware in the cluster which are in the VMware HCL.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

You can move a powered off VM from one ESX to another without any problem. You just need to check that the destination host has enough resources to run the guest.

For your information, have a look at this article and you'll see that you can even move your VM from one VMware product to another!

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos