VMware Cloud Community
trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

IT Staffing ratio question for smaller environments with VI3

What are average IT staffing ratios for IT departments you've seen and how effective were those particular ratios? Interested in the following general guidance:

*Sysadmins:server

*HelpDesk:PC

*IT Infrastructure Staff:User

*Total # of Admins given mini description below[/b]

We're a small progressive regional health center with 450 desktops, 700+ users, PACS system, 2 Clarion SANs, 15 SAN-attached hosts including 4 ESX3 hosts, 50 total physical boxes, 45 virtuals, and 5 remote sites. We've just started to rollout VOIP. We are mostly Windows with 5 linux servers.

Currently we have 2 help desk, 2 windows admins, 1 VCP/linux/network backup, and 1 network engineer CCNP guy and 1 manager (non-working). I'm curious if this is in line with the ratios you folks are seeing out there. I have a feeling we need to add a senior level admin to help coordinate SAN and server administration.

Yes, I realize this is a big "it depends"-question. Thank you for your assistance!

Message was edited by:

smc7000

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lightfighter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

seems understaffed, I guess no one goes on vacation or gets sick? and you better get 2 ESX guys because someone is bound to make them an offer at some point, I wouldn't worry about Windows admins, One of your kids could come in for a few hours after school and do that job

trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the vote. I agree about getting another ESX guy. I was just checking Dice.com recently and it seems tempting. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Who manages the storage in the environment? I might be tempted to cross-train one of the Windows administrators into taking more roles in that arena. It gives upward mobility and provides the ability to have a sick day or vacation without everything coming to a stop. If they refuse or are too busy, you can always start looking for Linux or storage admin grad from Central College and teach them the ESX role. They might not necessarily need all the skills, but someone who can follow the procedures and is not scared by CLI and knowing syntax.

trusted1
Contributor
Contributor

Who manages the storage in the environment?

God all mighty.

I'm cross training our Citrix windows guy but he's red lining right now on other projects. I believe we'll need to add another guy..........[b] A linux guy!!![/b]...\{followed by evil laughter}

Hopefully we'll have approval soon to hire another guy. I'd like to grab another Central guy. 3 of us on staff are alums. I'm a big fan of people from small liberal arts schools. Thanks!

0 Kudos