VMware Cloud Community
sanjaywanand
Contributor
Contributor

Hypervisor on my laptop?

Hi,

I've started playing around with VM hypervisor host and guests and am very excited about the possibilities as a developer. I set up my dev server with esxi and have successfully virtualized my laptop onto it and built a win 2k3 server as well. pretty cool so far. But, to get real bang, I want to install the hypervisor on my laptop itself but I can't figure out how to log onto any of the guests locally. It looks like I only have remote access to the guests. Is that right?

So does that mean one cannot really install hypervisor and take advantage of the 'bare-metal' performance advantage on one's 'client' machine?

Thanks

Sanjay

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcsenerd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there Sanjay! I understand your excitement at the possibility of doing such a thing...but the very nature of a hypervisor implies that there won't be any overhead of a typical OS that could provide the means to actually view, operate, and graphically manage any of the machines that might run under the hypervisor. So...long story short...unless you plan on hauling around a switch and another spare machine to run the VI Client and access the hypervisor on your laptop, it's likely going to be of limited use to you.

Please award answer points if you found this post to be helpful!

K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Sanjay. Unfortunately, as the other poster stated you will not be able to run a bare metal hypervisor on your laptop and access the guest machines via the same computer. However, VMware offers products that will allow you to accomplish what you want. I would suggest taking a look at either VM Workstation or VM

Server products. VM Server is provided free of charge while Workstation is available for a fee and provides more options to you. Basically you would install either versions mentioned on your laptops OS and then build guests inside of the program.

If you found this information useful please consider awarding points and or marking the thread answered.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
sanjaywanand
Contributor
Contributor

Got it.

Great community!

0 Kudos
sanjaywanand
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. I'm a Newbie. :smileymischief:

How do I give points?

Many thanks to both of you!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

By marking the posts as helpful they'll each get 6 points. You can also mark one post as correct to award 10 points.

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hey Sanjay. Glad we could be of help.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos